(13) There's a thin line between the words joke, jerk, and racist motherfucker.

Reminder of last chapter : Mickey gets into an argument with Nancy about the Clermont Brothers. One thinks they're racists, the other defends them. The whole thing ends with Zane and Mickey deciding to vent out by giving the siblings a taste of their own medicine.

 The whole thing ends with Zane and Mickey deciding to vent out by giving the siblings a taste of their own medicine

She was handling waking up early pretty well until that morning.

Her phone kept ringing and she kept tapping the snooze option, meaning it rung every five minutes for at least one hour before her mother got tired of the noise and came in the room to -literally- kick her daughter's butt.

"Ma', come on!" Mickey screamed into her pillow, coming out as a muffled cry, laying her hand on her buttcheek to lessen the pain.

Her head still buried in her pillow, Mickey moved her hands around to find her phone on the bed. Bingo. She brought it to her face, opening one eye to check the time and jumped up. "WHAT??"

"SHUT UP," her mother shouted from the hallway. Her mother was not a morning person, especially on her days off.

In a heartbeat, Mickey was up and running toward the bathroom for a quick shower. She was late. Late as in her shift already begun, as in it hadn't even been a week since she started.

She doubled down on her strawberry shower gel to make any smell from the day before disappear. There was no making sense of her hair on that morning so she took two strands of hair and tied them up, trying her best to make her half bun look good decent.

She put on her uniform and tripped on her sneakers, which was really her luck since she was looking for them in the first place. No peaceful reenactment of the party from the day before for her, no "oh my god why did I do that". When something happened in her life she liked replaying it in her head during long showers; no such luck this morning.

It felt embarrassing running in the street, especially since her running looked really weird, Mickey had no idea what to do with her hands when she ran. She looked like the huge creepy floating balloons in front of gas stations, but she ran pretty fast anyway so she just ignored the weird looks she got on her way.

No surprise, the door was already open. Overcome by sweat, shame, and stress, Mickey rested her hands on her knees for a bit to catch her breath. Callum opened the door and stared at her behind aviator sunglasses. "Can you run less loudly please," he almost whispered.

She burst out laughing, her adrenaline had yet to disappear. "Hangover much?"

He mumbled in response but Mickey had no idea what he said. She followed him inside. "How do you plan on attending any clients looking like a goddamn fly," she teased, forgetting instantly how late she was. Well temporarily, since by remembering she forgot about it, she remembered  anyway. Well done mind, well done.

"I'm taking them off when we open. Which isn't in too long."

She blushed and stared at her shoes for a moment. "Sorry about that, I woke up late."