(6) Baby Steps

I'm really sorry, this chapter will be a bit too long, I didn't manage to cut it halfway w/o it looking weird. From next week onwards they'll be shorter!

 From next week onwards they'll be shorter!

Mickey turned up to work at 7:30 that morning, having beaten sleep thanks to the 9 alarms she'd set. Thanks to a rare good night's sleep at normal hours, she looked radiant. Life is good, she had thought as she skipped to work like she was Heidi, girl of the alps. 

As she chirped "Hello", pushing the door, she felt like God was finally listening to her prayers. Alas, was he really? She lost her smile and the chirp in her voice as soon as she saw the shop empty except for the guy behind the counter.

"Is this a joke?" She asked, devastated.

"Pardon?" Kevin asked with his brows furrowed.

She stared at him for a while, standing still close to the door. After a few seconds Kevin's face broke into a huge mocking smile. "Were you expecting someone else? I am the most experienced worker in the shop you know?"

All her strength simultaneously left her body. Why bother.

"No, I knew it would be you, of course," she pretended, putting on a fake smile.

Kevin laughed and took something off the table behind him, laying it down on the counter. "Here's your uniform, go change in the changing room. .... Next to the staff room," he added noticing she wasn't moving.

Mickey thanked him and followed his instructions, opening the door to the changing room and locking it behind her. The changing room was in effect more of a janitor's closet. Among the brooms and cleaning products, there was something resembling the benches usually used in shoe stores. 

It was big enough to change in though, and once she was in her uniform, she marvelled at how good it looked for a place so lame. It wasn't long before she started checking herself out in the mirror attached to the door, and taking pictures of herself in the clothing. They had opted for long high-waisted shorts instead of a skirt, which she was thankful for. The shirt looked good too, with stripes and slightly puffy sleeves. She didn't upload instagram stories very often but once she put the apron on, she felt like the whole look fit too good on her not to share with the world. Maybe she took a bit too long, cause when she got back Kevin couldn't stop glaring at her.

"I-.."

"It's fine, Britany took even longer than you on her first day. You've seen her I think, she came to work yesterday."

Mickey blushed a bit and nodded. She got behind the counter, standing next to her boss. "She started an instagram live and everything in there. I swear I hate her."

But the smile on his lips said otherwise, he looked amused. Mickey was starting to feel like Kevin may not have been as bad of a person as she thought initially.