(1) Unending Celibacy

When in love, Sara glowed so much brighter than usual

When in love, Sara glowed so much brighter than usual. She turned into a whole different person, and for a few weeks she only had eyes for her lover of the hour. She would start dressing up and talking in that cute, soft voice. She basically would spend the entire day glued to him. Or her, depending on who she fell in love with at the time.

As a result, Mickey always felt confused about whether she should be mad at Sara for abandoning her in the high school jungle, or jealous that she managed to fall in love this much when she herself had been stuck in a romantic desert for 18 consecutive years. But throughout their 5 years of friendship, she had learnt to let go of these feelings, and just go with the flow. At those times, she used to speak a lot more with the other students in class, focus on school for a bit, dress up more too since she had no one to make her feel better about wearing clothes this ugly. Then, after a month or two, her best friend would be back by her side, wearing the same ugly but oh so comfortable sweatpants as her, the closest outside clothing there was to a pyjama, laughing at her unfunny jokes with her traditional pig laugh that would always make Mickey and pretty much everyone smile in return.

Sara fell in love easily, and gave it her all when she was in love. For this and many other things, Mickey couldn't help but admire her. Even when after a few weeks she realized it wasn't working out, she never let it get to her and would go for months without thinking about romance, until she met someone she liked and let the cycle repeat itself.

There was this group in school, who minded their business most of the time but were somehow always involved in drama when there was one. Some had tried to give them a stupid group name like the legendary plastics or the less-legendary OMGs but it never stuck. The gist of it was the four students of this little friend group, Miranda, Samia, Jake and Blair, tried to get into an argument with Sara about how quickly she changed man in a vain attempt to slut shame her in front of the whole school. It ended quickly when one of her ex-boyfriend, online poet and captain of the Judo team intervened.

"What's this, 2001? Get over yourselves. It takes courage to get yourself out there and love too." He said, standing up in front of her as they surrounded her in the parking lot. "As much as standing around, waiting for some random guy handsome enough to flirt with y'all and become your boyfriend."

It turned into this whole thing, where the group was actually trying to defend one of their friends, Sandra, whose boyfriend had just broken up with her in order to date Sara; and it divided the school in two groups, those who sided with Sandra, and those who sided with Sara. The whole conflict peaked when the two girls decided to go at each other's throat in an instagram live, but somehow ended up joining forces to get back at the ex-boyfriend instead.

In short, a mess. But for some reason, this mess was the climax of Mickey's self-interrogation about her love life. The words of boyfriend Y in the parking lot had stayed with her long after the altercation, and hit her in the chest right where her heart was.

For 18 years, Mickey Donovan had been waiting for a guy to like her. As much as she hated to think of herself this way, it was becoming hard to ignore it. She was becoming desperate.

She developed crushes too easily on guys she became friends with, never acted upon it and waited for them to love her only for it to end in disappointment and headache. By the time school ended, Mickey was left with nothing but frustration, and a school diploma.

And she was getting sick and tired of waiting for something that wasn't coming. She was done with sitting around, waiting for her latest love interest to talk to her so she could show him what a great catch she was, only for it to never happen.

Only, she had no idea where to start, nor what she was supposed to do to get a boyfriend.

Hello ! I hope this story will be read by a few people, and I hope you enjoy it too ! This will be a story mainly about self-discovery, be careful not too commit too quickly for a ship because as of right now, anything is possible

Hello ! I hope this story will be read by a few people, and I hope you enjoy it too ! This will be a story mainly about self-discovery, be careful not too commit too quickly for a ship because as of right now, anything is possible. Please don't hesitate to give any feedback, I still have trouble with some English phrasings but I hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it!