Chapter 25

Katia took a panicked step back and stared at the monster before her. Akur was tall with long, lithe limbs. He had black, close cut hair and a cold sneering smile that revealed a mouth full of sharp teeth. Along the right side of his face and upper body was a gruesome looking scar that made an intricate pattern on his body.

"Hello Katia," he purred.

Katia raised her arms to attack, but Akur flicked his wrist and Katia went flying across the room. She slammed into the back wall and slid down, landing painfully on the ground. She struggled to stand, gasping and holding her arm tightly. The impact knocked the wind out of her.

Then out of nowhere two Hunters came and chained her arms behind her back. Katia fought against them, but they were too strong and she was exhausted from her previous fight.

"I'm so glad you're here. I needed someone help me with my plan," Akur told Katia happily.

Even though she was chained, Katia stood up defiantly. "I'd rather die before I help you," Katia spat with pure hatred.

Akur looked down at her with a fake, sad expression on his face as he shook his head mournfully.

"You're mistaken. It wasn't an offer. You're helping me either way," Akur stated firmly. "Sit down there. We're going to have a little talk."

Katia stood stubbornly in her place. A flash of annoyance flitted over Akur's face. He motioned to the two Hunters, and they dragged her over to the table and pushed her down forcefully on to a chair. Katia stared daggers at Akur who just casually folded his hands together and leaned forward.

"Good. So how have you been lately Katia?" He asked. Katia huffed in annoyance. She couldn't believe he had the nerve to attempt small talk.

"Absolutely wonderful," Katia replied sarcastically. "It's been great, almost dying these past few days trying to find a way to kill you."

"That's good. And I'm assuming you found the key to defeating me?" Akur asked conversationally.

Katia just stared at him in silence. Her expression revealed nothing. She would never tell him what they found out. Ever.

"Not going to tell me? That's fine I already know," Akur told.

Katia still didn't say a word though her heart was pounding. He had to be bluffing she thought. There was no way he could know.

"Only when the four of you work together and find balance and harmony with your powers will you be successful," Akur said smugly.

A chill went down Katia's spine when she realized he quoted Agnitio perfectly, word for word. Akur smiled at Katia, and his smile grew larger when he saw the shocked expression on her face. Katia couldn't believe it. How could he know?

"How did you know that?" Katia demanded in an angry tone.

Akur looked pleased as he leaned back in his chair. Katia wanted nothing more than to wipe the smug smirk from his face.

"Celia has already told you she has Hunter blood in her. It's hard magic, but using it, I was able to eavesdrop on everything," Akur explained. He grinned like he was proud of himself.

Katia felt nothing but disgust at how Akur violated them like that, especially Celia. She was always wary of her Hunter ties. Katia had assured her she was truly an Elicti and nothing could change that. She thought there couldn't be anything dangerous about it, but apparently Katia was wrong.

"You're despicable," Katia told Akur quietly, anger lacing her voice. "We're going to kill you."

Katia didn't know where this rage and hatred came from. She didn't know she had it in her, but looking at Akur sitting across from her, Katia wanted nothing more but to see him dead.