Chapter 18

Katia, Nathan, Celia, and Damien got up from bed early in the morning. They had to leave before anyone discovered they had snuck in. It was also their third day. They didn't have much time. The four of them gathered their few belongings which consisted of their backpacks and anything they could scavenge from the hotel room. Then they were off.

Before Nathan flew them down, Katia left fifty dollars on the bed. It wasn't enough, especially with the damage and all of the food Celia got, but she couldn't leave without repaying the owners somehow. She just hoped they wouldn't be too mad.

Nathan flew them down and they walked through the cold, brisk air. The part of the city they were in was still quiet considering the sun had barely risen.

"Can we get breakfast? I'm starving and we have no idea where to start anyway," Celia said.

They all agreed, mainly because they were so hungry. They found a small diner and ordered breakfast sandwiches. As they were eating, Katia was looking out the window absentmindedly and thinking. She watched the cars drive by and the people walking along the sidewalk.

That's when she noticed an old bookstore on the corner of the street. It didn't have a very creative name. It was simply named "Bookstore" but the swirls around the name were the Elicti's ancient language.

"Guys look at that bookstore," Katia said pointing down the street. "Isn't that ancient writing around the name?"

Nathan, Celia, and Damien all turned around to examine the store through the window.

"Yeah it is. You think that's where Cato lives?" Nathan asked.

"Could be or it could at least be someone who could lead us to him," Katia answered.

They paid for their sandwiches and crossed the street over to the bookstore. A bell rang over the door when they entered. The inside looked as old and dusty as the outside. There were no people besides the four of them. Katia looked around and noticed some Elicti books and artifacts amidst the rows of normal books which had a layer of dust spread across them. She heard a door open in the back and a man who looked like he was in his 50s came out.

"Are you Cato?" Nathan asked cautiously, getting right to the point.

"Yes what's it to you?" He grunted as he watched them suspiciously.

"Serena sent us. She said you could help us find Agnitio. She also told us to give you this." Katia reached into her backpack and handed Cato the ring Serena gave her on the island.

Katia noticed that his hand was adorned with similar looking rings. Some sparkled in the light like any other gem but some had swirling smoke inside. Cato looked like a normal man but occasionally she noticed his eyes changing colors.

Cato inspected the ring for a while until he believed they were telling the truth. Finally he slid it on to his pinky above a green ring and turned to them.

"I will lead you to Agnitio if you will retrieve my hat," he stated.

"Your hat?" Celia asked incredulously, raising her eyebrows.

"Yes my hat," Cato responded firmly. "Some pesky birds took it from me and brought it to their nest on the highest tree in the forest. Get my hat then I'll tell you where Agnitio is."

"That is the stu-" Celia began to say angrily but Katia interrupted before she could finish.

"Okay we'll get your hat," Katia said quickly. "Where is the tallest tree?"

"It's on a hill in the forest in the east. It's deep inside but you can't miss it once you see it. Now go before I change my mind about helping you guys," Cato instructed with a wave of his hand.