Chapter 13

The angels led them down numerous wet, dark staircases and countless more halls full of cobwebs. Even though they weren't blindfolded, Katia knew there was no way for them to find their way out even if they managed to escape. 

Eventually they reached the bottom. The only light down there was coming from dim torches along the wall. Chills went down Katia's spine as she looked in the cells and saw piles of bones. It looked like whoever went in never came out. She didn't want to think about who they belonged to.

The angels locked Damien and Katia in one cell and Nathan and Celia in the one across. Then they left without a sound, gliding gracefully through the air.

"Great was this supposed to be part of your genius plan?" Celia asked incredulously, the venom clear in her voice.

She kicked aside a skull and it rolled next to Nathan who jumped away in shock.

"Yes if we fight them then she obviously won't help us," Katia told her with forced calmness.

"I don't think she liked the gift," Nathan said, trying to lighten the mood. Damien and Katia let out a small laugh while Celia just sighed in annoyance.

Time went by slowly. There was no way to tell the time, but Katia sensed that it was already night. She paced back and forth, needing a way to let out her anxious energy. Damien was sitting against the wall with his eyes closed. Katia thought he was asleep, but he sighed loudly.

"Will you quit pacing? It's getting on my nerves," Damien said without opening his eyes.

"Sorry," Katia mumbled. She stopped only to start tapping her fingers against the bars.

Celia preoccupied herself by throwing the bones agains the wall and watching them shatter. Katia felt bad for Nathan who looked like he was trying to melt into the corner. Between smashing bones apart, Celia would do her next favorite thing: spit out angry comments. And as time ticked on, they came more often. 

"This is all your fault, Katia. I don't know why Nathan and Damien keep following you. It just gets us into mess," Celia said.

She threw a rib through the bars at her but Katia had more than enough time to sidestep. It still didn't stop the anger surging through her.

Katia clenched her fists. "Whatever, Celia. Next time you're in trouble I'll let you do what you want."

"Good. I didn't want your nose in my business anyway," Celia snapped back.

Katia had had enough. She was going to talk back but Nathan beat her to it.

"Back off, Celia. She's just trying to help," Nathan said in an angry voice.

Celia laughed humorlessly and gestured around her. "And look where her help got us."

"Celia, I have an idea," Damien called still with his eyes closed. "Shut up."

Nathan clapped his hands once and pointed at Damien. "I like his idea. Shut up."

Celia stood up from her spot on the ground and went to stand in front of Nathan. She was only an inch smaller than him but had a glare that would make the earth quake.

"Want to make me?" She questioned quietly.

"I think I will take you up on that offer," Nathan replied. "Someone needs to put your bratty attitude back in line."

Celia's eyes narrowed, and fast as lightning, she punched Nathan in the jaw. He stumbled back from the force and hit the back wall. He held his mouth which was trickling a bit of blood.