Chapter 12

Celia shrugged and led the way out of the alley, storming out as if she owned the streets. Katia knew they probably looked like some gang. Four teenagers each with a backpack and a tattoo on their shoulder, roaming around in the middle of the day.

They roamed with Celia taking them up and down blocks as they tried to get on with their impossible quest. The city was busy and full of people running errands and going to work. But they were towards the edge of town and people were just settling into the offices.

Katia looked around for anything that looked promising. Instead her eyes landed on a pair police officers and her eyes widened slightly. They were coming their way, but didn't notice them yet since the officers were deep in conversation.

"Guys go in the store. Quick," Katia ordered.

Celia stared back incredulously at Katia, with no intention to follow her instructions, but Nathan pulled her in with a gust of wind. They entered a grocery store and waited by the doors.

"What the heck was that for?" Celia demanded. She shoved Nathan back and he clenched his fists by his sides.

"Katia said to go inside and you just kept walking," Nathan said angrily.

Celia spun on her heels to face Katia with a burning expression. "Right, and why exactly are we here?"

Katia watched the policemen walk by. They entered their car parked across the street and drove off. "Okay we're good," Katia said, mostly to herself.

Then she turned from the window and faced Celia who looked ready to attack someone.

"In case you haven't noticed, we're four teenagers not in school on a weekday in the middle of the day. I just wanted to avoid being questioned," Katia said.

Celia rolled her eyes. "You're afraid of some police officers? Besides, if they talked to us we could've made up an excuse up."

"Without you going off on them? I don't think so. Just trying to keep you out of jail," Katia replied sarcastically. She couldn't help it. She was getting fed up with Celia's attitude and it had barely been an hour.

"How would you even know that?" Celia asked skeptically.

"I just do," Katia said. Before Celia could press her further, she walked out of the store and heard the rest of them following behind.

Celia pushed past Katia and she had to resist the urge to blast the girl with water. Damien stayed in the back as usual while Nathan caught up to Katia.

"You had bad experiences with cops?" Nathan asked.

Katia didn't look at him. "Just a few run ins here and there. School wasn't my favorite place before. Being the foster kid didn't make me the most popular. I ditched a lot."

Katia only got caught twice ditching and each time the officer only escorted her back to school. Her worse run ins were when some neighbors would call the cops on her foster home for noise complaints. Katia knew the police were aware of what was happening in some of those homes, but they just ignored it.

"Well I'm glad you knew what to do. And I'm glad you're here," Nathan said. "Just ignore Celia."

Katia nodded and forced a small smile. She was beginning to think she was in way over her head.

They kept walking and finally found an old family run boat shop. As they entered, the little bell on the door rang, signaling their entrance.

"How may I help you?" A kind old man asked from behind the counter. He was wearing a plaid gray shirt and jeans. Katia hoped he wouldn't question why they were there.