Chapter 5

Around ten Nathan left to go to his aunt and uncle's house. As he was flying home he became enveloped in his thoughts. He suddenly remembered an old prophecy he had heard about from Saladin years ago.

The girl kept in the dark
Will receive the long awaited mark.
She shall complete the four
Who will defeat evil at its core.

Could the girl in the prophecy be Katia? Will she be the long awaited hero to defeat Akur? But the prophecy had existed for thousands of years and hadn't been relevant yet. It could wait a thousand more.

Nathan decided to just send a message to Saladin about it tomorrow. He willed the winds to push him faster and he surged forward in the sky as he flew to his aunt and uncle's home.

He loved the feeling of the wind against his face. It made him feel free. He looked below and watched the twinkling lights of the city. It was one of his favorite times to fly. Nathan could go low and rely on the darkness to conceal him. He loved how peaceful the world looked from up there and wondered what was going on in other people's lives.

At last, Nathan was home. He went in through his window on the second floor and landed gently in his room. He peeked his head out and saw a light on downstairs. He went down and saw his uncle reading on the couch.

"Oh good you're home," he said.

"Yeah just now. You didn't need to wait up for me," Nathan said as he took a seat next to him.

"I know. I just wanted to," he replied. "So what exactly happened today? You met another Elicti no one knew about?"

Nathan nodded and told him about his afternoon after meeting Katia and everything he found out. He was having a hard time wrapping his head around it, so he could only imagine Katia would be having it worse. So before he fell asleep that night he decided to see her tomorrow to see how she was coping with everything.

***

The next morning Nathan flew to Jason's apartment and knocked on the door. He waited for ten minutes but no one was opening the door. Katia's car was still in the driveway so he knew for a fact they were inside. Nathan tried again but still no answer. He tested the doorknob and was surprised to find it unlocked.

"Hello?" He called as he entered the house slowly. "Jason? Katia? Are you guys in here?"

Nathan continued to walk and entered the living room to see Katia and Jason arguing.

"Why can't I go? I'm just shopping with Julie!" Katia said in an irritated tone.

"It's too dangerous. You don't know how to use your powers yet. More Hunters may attack you," Jason countered back.

"I never saw you attacked and would more really come the next day?" Katia demanded in a skeptical tone.

Asher was sitting on the couch with a bored expression. "I think she should go."

Katia smiled but Jason used his telekinesis to slam a pillow into Asher's face. "Stay out of this," he ordered him before turning back to Katia.

"You never know. I don't want to risk it," Jason said in a stern tone.

"But I promised Julie! Nothing will happen at the mall!" Katia threw her hands in the air and took a step towards Jason. The pipes started groaning by the sink and Asher cleared his throat and discreetly pointed at them.

"No," Jason said simply.

Katia grunted in exasperation. She turned her back on Jason and spotted Nathan standing in the doorway.