CHAPTER NINE

"Girl Meets Rah Rah"

Primrose stands next to Maya and Riley in the gym since it was cheerleading tryouts and Riley was determined to get on the team this year

Primrose stands next to Maya and Riley in the gym since it was cheerleading tryouts and Riley was determined to get on the team this year. Maya and Primrose watch one of the cheerleaders, Samantha, do some backflips. Primrose was shocked Samantha didn't fall. It looked like she did the backflip as if it was nothing. Every one of the girls made whatever athletic move they did look like it was nothing.  

When she lands with a smile on her face, Riley smiles and claps for her. "Great job, Samantha!"

"Thanks!" Samantha smiled and high fives her as she walks off. Riley turns to Maya and Primrose. "She's the worst one here."

"I don't know. She looks talented to me." Primrose shrugged her shoulders.

"Oh, she is." Riley nodded. Maya stared at Riley with raised eyebrows. "She's the worst?"

"Samantha's the one I gotta beat to make the team." Riley responded. She looks at her best friends. "I'm better than her, right?"

Before either of them answer, they look over to their right when they see Samantha walk on a hand stand. "How is she doing that?" Primrose tilted her head to the side, watching with confusion and awe. She never saw someone do that.

"Explain to me what's the matter with you." Maya said to Riley.

"I'm for your entertainment pleasure. " Riley smiled.

"How many years are you gonna do this to us?" Maya asks her.

Riley furrow her eyebrows. "What am I doing to you two?"

"Every year we have to tell you that you're good, you know what? You're not good. You're not as good as Samantha. You're not as good as Heather. You're not as good as any other girl here with any name, or doesn't have a name, or doesn't exist, or is a rock." Maya explained.

"Well, I don't like that she doesn't have a name. I would call her Roxie." Riley told her and that was when Primrose noticed the cheer coach walk into the gym.

"Riley, you try out every year and Coach Kelly always tell you to not come back 'cause she hates you." Primrose reminded her.

Riley shakes her head. "Coach Kelly does not hate me."

Coach Kelly then walks up to them after noticing they were in the gym. "Matthews, I hate you. Why would you come here? Why are you wearing that? Why would you come here?"

"This is the year I'm going to make the team." Riley answered. 

"It's really not. You've been trying to make this team since third grade pee wees, and they don't let me reject anybody in third grade pee wees. It hurts their self-esteem." Coach Kelly rolls her eyes.

Riley looks at her with confusion. "Then why did you get to reject me?"

"'Cause that's the year we passed the Riley Rule." Coach Kelly replied.