Painful Mishap

*My feet were numb from crouching down in this river bed, there was no way in hell i was going to be able to outrun him now. This was the end. This was how it was going to end. The sound of the swords grew closer and closer...*

I closed my eyes. Id much rather not see the face of beckoning as the witcher sliced my chest open. It was time that I accepted that I could not run from my fate anymore. I was born a monster and this was how monsters end up: slaughtered by a witcher. My lip began to quiver with the thought of dying here in this wet and cold ditch.

The heavy footsteps sounded around the forest, he was painfully close but i could not quite work out where he was. It was almost as if he was right above me, how has he not spotted me yet? My heart began to pound again as i felt a wave of adrenaline wash over my body- sending chills down my spine.

An audible thud could be heard from a few feet away followed by a disgruntled "Fuck."

I opened my eyes to see what happened. He stood on the opposite the bank of the river. His long silver/white hair glistened under the light of the moon as it fell over his shoulders and around the two large swords slung around his back. His back was facing me. Did he jump over the river? Impressive I will admit. He must have not seen me as he kept a steady pace moving deeper into the dark forest, his form soon disappeared into the thick white fog that blanketed the ground. The forest once again fell silent. Was this some sort of trap? Was he just waiting in the bushes for me to leave my spot?

"Urgh, fuck me" I growled as i stood up from the creek of the river. My feet were soaked by the near freezing water that I was crouched in. I guess the only good news was that the mud from earlier was now washed off and the fur on my legs was yet again a pearlescent white, but this time dripping, saturated with water. My form was illuminated by the soft moonlight, my white fur elegantly shining and reflecting the glowing moonlight. But it was no time to adore the way I looked under this spotlight. I had to move.  A quick glance at the surroundings to check for any noises before I set off again, opposite to where the witcher went, hoping that I would lose him in the fog that had settled. The only thing on my mind was surviving. I still haven't mastered switching my form back- I was stuck in this wolfish body until something clicked and I could turn back. I was making it swiftly through the forest my large paws rhythmically hitting the leaf littered ground with the occasional snap of a twig giving away my location, but something didn't feel right. It felt like i was being watched. But by who? The witcher kept moving in the opposite direction of the woods- right? Doubt flushed my face as i slowed down, reaching another small clearing. It was a trap. It had to be. How on earth would a trained murder machine not see me in the creek. I began to panic; I couldn't run the way I came from or he would most certainly catch me.

The edge of the clearing was shrouded in darkness from the large fir and pine trees that towered high above, and yet the clearing itself was beautifully lit by the moonlight from above. Every little dip in the dirt and each moss patch could be seen very clearly, the grass was dancing softly swaying left, and right with the gentle breeze that swept through the woods. The small puddles of rogue water glimmered and glistened with the trembling reflection of the moon, the sky could be seen as clear as ever: all the specks of stars that dotted the night sky blinked at me as if to say that i need to survive and make it out of this nightmare. The moon was more beautiful than ever, her presence on the sky was unmistakable; she shone with beauty and confidence over the sleeping world below. There was no way i could run through this without getting spotted.

Crackling of the twigs and leaves behind me. My mind went blank and fear yet again took over my body, all previous plans of avoiding the clearing went out of the window as my white frame jumped out of the protection of the shadows, and like a ghoulish spectre bounded and whisped across the land leaving a foggy trail of condensed breath behind me. A sight to behold. I felt free and invincible as i leapt large distances across the dew covered grass. A clicking noise. I could hear it across the clearing. Was it twigs snapping? It must be. Three more paces and i would make it across the clearing... Two more paces... a loud snap rung through the forest but I had one more pace.

"AAAAAAAHH!" I screamed out. The echo of the pain ridden cry moved across the forest.

I was greeted with the cold wet grass in my face as i stumbled forward. A sharp deep pain in my shoulder which soon radiated all around my body. Reaching back to see where the pain was coming from i felt it. A crossbow bolt struck deep in my shoulder, i pulled my hand back it was oozing with thick, crimson blood. The pain was getting worse and my head hurt again, it hurt so much. Was i going to pass out? I closed my eyes to take a few deep breaths.

The headache soon ceased. Was I still bleeding? I gently scanned my shoulder with my hand; terrified, i looked at my hand again. It was no longer a beastly paw but my nimble hand- covered in blood. But it was my hand not some wolfish claw. Loud grunting and unimpressed mumbles grew closer. How much blood have I lost? The world began swirling around me and the corners of my vision soon darkened.  Soon enough everything went dark and i felt the cold grass embraced my flushed face...