Bittersweet Symphony

*My eyes were glued to the meat atop the fire, I watched as the surface began going from a pink/red to a mouth-watering golden brown. Despite being stranded, at least I had some food. Things really couldn't get any worse...*

Taking the meat off the flame I placed it gently onto a stone slab that I had found near my resting spot. The fire flickered angrily, illuminating the surrounding trees and shrubs with its yellow glow. So scenic, so serene. But fire was not a force to beckon with, its destructive nature could easily burn down the lush evergreen forests that surrounded the Witcher's Keep. I kept a close eye on it as I nibbled on my food as I embraced the warmth of the flames. Soon enough the slab of meat was finished and my stomach no longer felt like an empty pit, the only issue now was my waterskin. I had forgotten to fill it up before my promp departure.

The joints in my knees cracked as I pulled myself up. I was on a mission to find a stream of some sorts to fill up on water. I must have passed one on the way here, right? I patted the flames down until only the burning embers on the charred wood remained. I was once again plunged into darkeness. The forest now seemed much more ominous and uninviting, but that was the least of my worries. I passed Ghost and gently patted his neck running my hand down and along his back to reassure him before i set off into the mist that had settled over the forest. The blissful silence was broken by my unsteady footsteps crackling on the fallen leaves and twigs that littered the ground. Straining my ears, trying desperately to hear running water I tripped over some upturned roots. The thud of me falling onto the dirt could be heard for miles, birds fleeing from their perches, their wings beating rhythmically through the cold, crisp air of the night. Silence yet again fell over the forest.

I lay there, burning up with shame, for what seemed to be hours. The cold dirt hugging my body. I wasn't meant to be attracting attention to myself, especially when I have 3 Witchers on my trail. Useless. Utterly useless. I pulled myself up and leaned against the closest tree hugging my knees, i fucked it. They were bound to find me. My vision began to blur as my eyes swelled with tears of frustration. I clenched my hands into tight fists of fury throwing my head back I let out a bloodcurdling scream. Tears were now cascading down my cheeks. Why couldnt I just be normal? Why did I have to be curséd like this. Another scream into the silence. Frustrated and cold I wiped the dirt off myself and got up from my pathetic hissy fit. I could feel the rage bubbling through my blood.

What I hadn't realised is that i should have worried less about attracting the Witchers, and more of the monstrosities that lived in the darkened woods. For the most part all i heard was the creaking of branches, my unsteady breathing and my own steps. That was until the faint trickling of water resounded in my ears. I followed it till I found a small stream illuminated by the moonlight, crouched down I placed my waterskin to the mouth of the running water. It slowly filled up to the brim and when it was full I placed the cork over the top and slid it into the pocket of my throw. Time to return to Ghost and my makeshift camp.

Taking a few odd steps backwards I was yet again plunged into the blanket of mist that settled over the forest. I wasnt alone this time though. A low gargling noise erupted from the mist and soon after a few pairs of glowing eyes emerged from the mist. I could feel my heart jumping into my throat. Perhaps screaming into the night was a bad idea. The growling grew louder as the monsters drew in closer, I couldn't move. It was almost as if I had been glued down to the floor. Panic and fear had kicked in. Shaking my head to rid myself from the trance I bolted in the direction i had come from, hoping to reach Ghost before the Nekkers reached me. I could feel my heart pounding as i ran through the woods, face getting thrashed by stray branches. I was sure i could feel the stale breath of the nekkers on my ankles. But i couldnt stop. I had to keep running.

Soon enough my nose filled with the scent of smoke. I must have reached my little camp. Fear now replaced with hope I felt lighter on my feet as I sped up my pace. And there he was. My boy Ghost nervously padding his hooves on the floor as the the nekkers along with me drew closer. In a swift movement I hopped on the saddle and messily untangled the reins. Jabbing him in the sides with my heels we bolted along the rugged stone path. Dust picking up from his hooves, the sound of the nekkers was now a thing of the past. I hugged Ghost's neck tight, not even looking where we were headed, I just wanted to get as far away as possible...