Mercy for the Wicked

*Their scent grew closer and closer. And with that, my anger grew more and more, I saw life through a red lens. And the only thing in my mind was murder...*

My nose filled with their scent, drawing closer and closer, their hideout must be around here now. Slowing down my pace and regaining my breath from the frantic run, I felt the fur on the back of my spine standing on end. My already large form was now even more emphasised, teeth bared and fury foaming out my mouth. Twas a ghastly sight, to say the least, I had become the very thing I swore to destroy, a ravenous beast looking for bloodshed, merciless killer, a monster. Thoughts rattled around my brain as to how I was going to go about this, but then I heard them. The Scoia'tael. Their cheerful laughter and chitter-chatter. I felt the rage bubbling up and out my throat- involuntarily- I let out a low, rumbling growl which echoed throughout. It was so loud I'm pretty certain Triss heard it all the way from the village. 

Silence, no longer could I hear them chatting away. All that was left was an unsettling silence. Perfect. I could sense the fear running through their veins. Panicked footsteps could be heard running along the twigs and leaves. I couldn't let them escape, not now. They had to pay for what they had done. Standing up on my hind legs I was no longer concealed by the shrubbery on the top of the mound. My tall stature and broad body felt like it was towering over the Elves which had made this little section of the abandoned forest their home. My brooding stance was soon broken as I ran at them full force, their eyes widening, filled with terror. Scrambling in all directions all I could focus on were the little squirrel tails attached to their hats as they fluttered and swished with their frantic running. Nipping at their heels when I got the chance, one of them stumbled and tripped. My head whipped around, my yellow eyes locked on the young boy. Teeth bared, a low growl emerging from my throat. I slowly stalked closer. Shuffling erratically backwards the elf hit his back on a tree, there was nowhere for him to run now. Ignoring whatever else was going on behind me I had my heart set on this elf, inching closer and closer. I could smell the fear pouring out of him. I was so close I could now see eye to eye with him, he had deep brown eyes like the bark of an oak tree, open so wide in terror. It filled me with glee, I wonder if this is too what they saw when they decimated my village. I wonder if they too felt this wave of exhilaration as they ended lives. 

Unhinging my jaws I began leaning forward. Instinctively the young elf covered himself with his arms. As if that would stop me. I could almost feel his warm blood on my tongue, all I wanted to do was clamp my jaws around his neck and watch as life drained out of him. 

"Beast"

"Monster"

"Disgrace"

"Pest"

K I L L E R "

I could hear the villagers in my head, all the slurs and insults they threw over me in all the years. What was this? Why now when I got my chance to avenge everyone. My consciousness was weighing heavily on me now. But why now. Why did I care? They've killed everyone I've ever known so why should I show them mercy...

 I opened my eyes. The boy's face was as pale as a ghost, terror still flooding his body. I leaned back pinning my ears back onto my head. With a snarl on my face, I snapped at him:

"If I ever see you or your merry men again, I'll show no mercy. Count your blessings."

I was so engulfed with terrorizing the one elf that I hadn't realised that they had all formed a semi-circle around me, watching, seeing what I would do. All it took was me biting and snapping at the air a few times for them to disperse and run off again. I shook my head and left, slowly through the forest, back the way I came. 

Triss was still frozen in her place by the time I got back. Her face frozen in a terrified expression, she probably assumed the worst. I don't blame her I was furious and wanted to get my revenge on the snobby little elves but I couldn't do it, something was stopping me. Perhaps I wasn't the monster that everyone painted me out to be. In a quiet and almost shakey tone she asked,

"Did you..." there was a slight pause before she continued "Did you kill them all?" 

Looking up at her, our eyes locked. I needn't say much.

"Mercy for the wicked"

Her expression softened and her tense body language softened...

(A/N sorry for the long absence, unis got me on another level of stressed but I'm back now! :))) )