Familiar Faces

*"Jaskier for heaven's sake calm down"

Jaskier... Jaskier..... where have I heard that name before.....*

The new arrivals face was pale with fear as his arm outstretched and shakily pointed at my ghost-like figure in the night. His steed uneasy in my presence began slowly backing off, its ears pinned back snorting with anxiety. Both of the new arrivals clearly were not too thrilled by my presence in Kaer Morhen, and I wasn't surprised, no one wanted to see a flesh-eating lycanthrope. Wearily Jaskier got off his steed with Geralt leading them slowly towards the hay and water dishes, Jaskier's eyes still pinned on me, even when I couldn't see his eyes I knew he was staring. I shifted my weight uncomfortably on the stone rubble, deciding to jump off as the loose stones began falling echoing into the night.

They soon returned from the little journey, Jaskier's face dropping with fear as he realised I was no longer on the rubble. His head darting frantically looking around for me. The nervous silence was broken by Geralt's tired, and lightly frustrated comment,

"Calm down, for Gods' sake, Y/N isn't going to kill you,"

There was a slight pause.

" it wouldn't be worth their time"

Near an instant his face changed from fear to one of offence, he furrowed his brows and crossed his arms over his chest. It was clear he had been offended by the comment. Oh, how dramatic. I couldn't help but smile at this short interaction, he was so full of himself and it was amusing seeing him get shut down like that. They made their way back towards the courtyard to where I was now sitting on the dew-covered grass. I smiled a toothy grin. To which in response I got a smile back from Geralt, however, Jaskier was a different matter... he gasped with what I can only imagine was terror. I was mistaken. He stared at me now no longer with fear in his eyes but more so with admiration and awe, I have no clue what Geralt told him but he seemed to be much less scared of me now. I could see the glimmer in his eyes as they got closer, oh lord what was he about to say...

My curiosity was soon fulfilled as he blurted out

"THIS IS PERFECT FOR MY NEXT BALLAD"

His grin widened further

"A TALE OF HOW THE GREAT BARD SURVIVED A LYCANTHROPE ENCOUNTER"

My ears pinned back on my head, that was the most stupid thing I've heard. It's not like he would be fighting for his life here, he was so going to exaggerate this encounter for his own benefit. Oh well, who was I to judge? We were soon ushered into the building again by Geralt with a quick remark about how cold it was getting outside. My stay outside was cut short yet again. I stood up onto my hind legs, towering over the men I could feel a slight sense of unease fill Jaskier again. We walked back inside, the ivory claws on my feet tapping against the floor filling the spacious room with rhythmic tapping with each one of my steps. The silence was killing us. It didn't help that it was the night and the room was shrouded mostly in darkness, with only the faint light of the moon coming in through the windows. There was a hiss of fire as a candle lantern was lit by Geralt with a swift flick of his wrist. The Igni sign. I read a lot about the powers that withers possessed, and casting the different signs was one of them.

The table we went to sit at was glowing with the soft, warm light of the candle. The table was set up as if to expect visitors, cups and plates laid out on the tabletop. My legs couldn't fit underneath the table so I was awkwardly kneeling on the log bench. We watched as Geralt brought back a jug of Erveluce and Kaedweni stout, pouring it out into our cups and asking Jaskier how his journey to Kaer Morhen went. It was a long rant about the difficult road and how much his ass hurt from the saddle. He made it out to seem like he went to hell and back to get here. I snorted before retorting,

"Try being shackled in the back of a cart for a week and a half"

His and Geralt's face dropped at my remark. I realised how bad that sounded and instantly apologised.

"Bad timing, my bad"

Then we drank the alcohol and began talking about everything and nothing, laughing the night away with our stupid stories and listening to Geralt's many-a-adventures. The light-hearted mood of the room was soon ruined as I began getting a headache. A piercing headache, leaving me writhing on the floor with pain.

The room got darker and darker as my headache kept getting worse, I could hear the concerned voices of the two men shouting one over each other asking me if I was okay. I must have been screaming and thrashing around because I woke up with my head in Jaskier's lap as he sat crossed-legged on the floor, and Geralt holding my hand gently running his thumb across the top of my hand. What happened?...

*A/N sorry for a bad chapter I'm having some writers block and I didn't want to leave you guys hanging on for another chapter*