A Crack in the Glass

*Shivers ran down my spine as his lips made contact with my neck. I closed my eyes ready to drift off yet again into sleep in the warm embrace of the white-haired witcher. The fragrance of cedarwood seeped into the bedsheets. Within a few more minutes I was off again, sleeping peacefully curled up in his arms....* 

The room was awfully quiet. The flame which once illuminated the room was long burned out, only the waxy remnants of its body spooled across on the table. The room was once again shrouded in darkness, it was oddly comforting I must say, however, I had no indication as to what time of day it was. It could have been midday for all I knew- the room had no windows and the only light came from the candles. The bed was warm, comforting. But I had overstayed my welcome in this room- don't get me wrong I was grateful for the help the witchers gave me, but it was time to go. Geralt was long gone from the room but his scent still lingered in the sheets. 

I shuffled to the edge of the bed, swinging my legs from under the covers, the cold air hitting my bare skin. A series of shivers ran down my spine. Wearily, I stood up my legs slightly shakey and wobbly, making my way over to the small mirror which was neatly poised above the small cabinet. Gently touching my once pain-riddled face I looked deeply into my own eyes, the ones I had hated so much over all these years. My amber eyes were looking back at me like a bad dream. A constant reminder of the curse I was forced to live with. Lycanthropy. perhaps it would not be too bad if I had control over when I shifted, but I didn't. and that was the problem. I had absolutely no control over it. It was like a sneeze, either way, it would happen no matter how hard I tried to stop it. My reflection staring back. 

Headache. The headache.

My head. Pounding. I could feel my heart beating faster and faster by the second. I must have hit the mirror when I fell to the floor in pain, I could hear the ringing of the shattering of the mirror in my ears. Bouncing around my skull like a ball. The headache and the ringing soon ceased though. Calmness and silence once again fell over the room, looking over the mirror I saw my own reflection- a white muzzled beast was looking back at me. Not again. My now large and furry hands grappled with the handle of the door to the room, soon enough the door handle clicked and the large wooden door creaked open revealing the long, poorly lit corridor leading to the room. Ducking down through the door frame, I tumbled and trudged my way across the corridor and the small steps leading back into the main bulk of the large building, I pushed the door at the top of the stairs open and peered around. The room was empty and the only light coming into it was from the long windows which resided on the top edge of the walls. The cold blue glimmer of the moon was the only light illuminating the room. I stepped out cautiously onto the tiled floor, my nails clipping against the floor, the pearlescent fur that covered my body reflected the moonlight so beautifully, a bright aura of light coming off my body. I was a spectre in the night, leaving a foggy white trail as I tip toed my way across the spacious room. I could see the heavy wooden doors on the opposite end of the room. I needed to get outside before they saw me. Within a few more seconds I made it. The heavy doors creaked and snapped as they slowly gave way, the courtyard of Kaer Morhen to my disposal. The white limestone bricks of the walls and buildings reflecting the moon, a feeling of unease filling me, almost as if someone was watching me. I snapped my head around. Frantically looking around me to see if anyone was watching. But there was no one. Alone. Bliss.

Stepping out into the courtyard the cold, crisp air hit my nose as I inhaled it. My lungs filled with the scent of evergreens and fog. It was refreshing. Home-like. Venturing deeper into the courtyard I shook off my furry coat, fur bristling on end, my stature now even larger and menacing than before. I understood why people would be afraid of me... on the surface, I was a blood thirsty, night-dwelling monster coming to steal away their precious babies in the night. In reality, though I was just as compassionate and loving as anyone else. A deep sigh escaped my lips, my breath condensing in the cool air. A few paces in front was a wall, although mostly reduced to rubble, a perfect little perch to rest on- clambering up on the bricks I sat atop my throne. The silence of the night disrupted by the hooting of an owl or the scream of a fox. Nature at its finest. When the bustling life of the day came to an end the night took over. A weary smile spread across my lips as I thought of my mother, and the song she sang me to sleep. Unconsciously my lips began to part as the gentle melody of the song filled the air,

"Let me die, let me drown, lay my bones in the ground
I will still come around when the time for sleep is through
Over hill, over dale, through the valley and vale
Do not weep, do not wail, I am coming home to you..."

My song was cut short however by the crunching of hooved on the cobblestone and a rather girly screech coming from the other end of the courtyard. I slowly opened my eyes and twisted my head to the source, an awfully coloured individual atop his unamused steed. The shrilly screams continued to pierce the air,

"GERAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTT"

With that final shriek, the sound of heavy, yet drowsy footsteps emerged from behind me. The imbecile woke up the witchers. GREAT. That was really what I needed right now considering the state in which I was in. My eyes locked with the white-haired witcher once again, before his eyes darted back at the new arrival. A guttural sigh left Geralt as he rubbled his sleep stained face.

"Jaskier for heaven's sake calm down" 

Jaskier.... Jaskier..... where have I heard that name before.....