Ode to Traitors

*"Mercy for the wicked"

Her expression softened and her tense body language softened...*

The silence became deafening. Neither one of us said anything. Reflecting in silence. A silence that seemed to last for hours as we stared into each other, I could now feel myself calming down from the events which had just occurred. My headache ceased and within seconds my towering stature was no longer present. I was back to being my human self. I could feel an immense wave of peace wash over me, feeling as if I never got angry. Must have been Triss' doing. Her expression changed and with an almost concerned frown she stated,

"You're the thing they were keeping in Kaer Morhen."

I didn't reply. She knew. They told her. She lied.

"What do we do with you now then..." She sighed audibly "Let's go home we will talk about this tomorrow, it's getting dark"

Sitting atop our saddles we made our way back to Triss' home. By the time we arrived the sun had set a while ago, the streets empty illuminated by the torchlight. The crunching of heavy hooves on cobble resonated through the narrow streets. 

Soon enough we arrived, the creaking of the floorboards on the stairs as we stumbled up them and into bed. Without getting changed I hopped into bed and huddled up in quilts and blankets. Triss and I told each other goodnight and with that, I put my head onto the pillow and closed my eyes. I couldn't tell how long had passed, the sun was still down, I couldn't fall asleep. I rolled round in bed trying to find a comfortable position yet again but nothing was doing the job, laying on my back and staring at the ceiling I heard Triss. She was downstairs talking to someone, who was she talking to at this time of night? Curiosity got the better of me and carefully I slipped out of bed and crept onto the stairs. I walked down a few steps and sat down. I know I shouldn't have been spying on her but after what she said I had a right to be suspicious of her. She was standing in front of some sort of portal. It glowed blue illuminating the room with its light. There was someone in the portal, I couldn't quite tell who it was until Triss began talking again,

"Geralt they're here with me, I'll try keep them put for as long as I can but you need to get here quickly"

I could hear the panic and desperation in her voice, soon enough she received a reply

"Give us 4 days, we'll take Y/N off your hands"

A cold shiver ran down my spine, what was I going to do now? Nowhere was safe anymore. I heard then finish the conversation and with a freezing gust of wind the portal closed and the room was once again shrouded in darkness. I wiped the tears that began welling up in my eyes again and scuttled back into bed before Triss could see that I had eavesdropped on her conversation to the witchers. I heard her gentle footsteps going up the stairs, gentle as to not wake me up. If only she knew what I heard. And I thought I could trust her. Everyone was a traitor and there was no way in hell I was going to go back to Kaer Morhen. I had to think of a plan. How was I going to leave without her noticing? I needed to get out of here as soon as possible. I stared at the ceiling again until the room filled with Triss' gentle snoring. Now was my chance. I gathered food and drink placing it all in my saddlebags, I threw a hooded cape and furred jacket on as to keep me warm, the biting cold would not get the better of me today. I went back inside looking for a pen and paper to let Triss know she fucked up, instead I found something better. A small vial of Kikimora blood. I popped the seal open and dipped my finger in it and along the wall traced, 'Ode to traitors'. Smiling to myself I closed the door and hopped onto Ghost. I was clearly not welcome here. Spurring Ghost on we set off yet again into the world.

The sound of hooves on the cobble yet again filled the streets and soon enough I was on the bridge by Glory Gate. I had to get as far away from Triss as possible, as quickly as possible. 

Soon enough the sun began rising gently over the horizon, rays of orange and red filled the sky, illuminating the fields and towns. The dull fields now blazed with warm hues and the once grey dark sky was filled with colour and life. The water in the lake glistened and danced to the rhythm of the gentle morning breeze, reflecting the lights in the sky. It was a beautiful view. We slowed down our pace as we drew closer and closer to a little town. With each minute the small town whose silhouette I once saw in the distance was drawing closer and closer. We were greeted with the squelching of mud under Ghost's hooves and soon enough deciding I was now a safe distance from Triss, I stopped Ghost by a little Inn. I grabbed my little dagger and placed it concealed in my belt before walking inside. 

The doors to the Inn creaked open and as I stepped inside silence fell and all heads turned towards me. Everyone was watching me and I froze in place, I felt my heart picking up, looking around the Inn was filled with mostly well-built, brawny men, armour blazing with the colours of Redenia, a sea of red and white. With some force, I swallowed and awkwardly waddled over to the bar asking for a draught pint of the cheapest. I put my hood up as to cover my face, dropped some coins on the counter and as in the corner of the Inn with my pint in hand and a bit of bread in the other. I ate the bread quickly and washed it down with the beer. I wanted to get out of here and continue making my way as far as possible.

 I must have drawn a lot of attention to myself because soon enough a large, stout man accompanied by a few of his men sat down next to and opposite me. I slowly reached under my cloak for the dagger in case they wanted to start trouble, although I knew damn well I stood slim to none chances of winning. I cautiously eyed them, anticipating their next moves. The threatening silence was broken by the stout man, and will a gleeful tone exclaimed,

"Well, well, well! What's a young thing like yourself doing in a place like this?"

His breath reeked of alcohol, my nose scrunched up as I snapped at him

"None of your bloody business"

Who I assumed where his men leaned in over the table threateningly and I realised I messed up, my face dropped. I was promptly saved when the stout man began talking again,

"Boys, boys calm down, they're just spooked. We did join uninvited."

He looked over at me and stuck out his stubby hand in greeting,

"Baron, Bloody Baron if you will"...