Take me Home

*I hugged Ghost's neck tight, not even looking where we were headed, I just wanted to get as far away as possible...*

The wind battered my beaten face, with Ghost having no inclination to slow down we continued down the gravel path. Hours must have passed by the time Ghost slowed down, the sun was now slowly rising over the horizon, the sky turning a brilliant red. Soon enough the darkness receded as light flooded in. Rubbing my eyes from the dried tears from the ride I slid off the saddle and grabbed the reins. Sleep hadnt been an option for me for the last day, I needed to be on my toes at all times. There was no way I was going to let the Witchers capture me again. I was sick of Kaer Morhen and their stupid rules, even if I was a beast i still had humanity in me. And if they cant see that then thats their own problem. I sighed in defeat. I had no idea where I was and how to get back to Novigrad.
"Stupid nekkers, and stupid witchers... just leave me alone"
I kicked a stone which sat by my foot, I could hear it bouncing into the woods before hitting a tree and coming to a halt. There was no point getting angry now, there was only so much I could do. The day was only young and things could still turn out for the better. Or at least that was what I kept telling myself.

Taking Ghost I led him just off the path so that we wouldn't be spotted. The deep green shrubbery acted as our camouflage. Ill have you know that its not that easy hiding a pearlescent white horse in the woods. The large collection of boulders acted as my seat, trying to make myself comfortable I shifted around on the smoothed edges, I began humming a little tune to myself:
"Home, let me come home. Cause home is wherever Im with you..."
My mind began to wonder back when I was a kid, running around the little town squealing with joy, stick in hand and playing with all the other kids. Ah, those where the good times. A cracked smile had formed on my face thinking about how easy life one was, you know, before the curse. My reminiscing was however soon cut short but the sound of heavy hooves on the path, intermittently interrupted by the sound of a gentle feminine voice talking to someone. I knew I should have stayed hidden but curiosity got the better of me. I slowly crept towards the edge of the shrubbery and peered from behind the tree. A beautiful woman with ruby red hair on a beautiful rowan mare. My eyes were drawn to her. But who was she speaking to? There was no one in sight? It was unusual for women to travel alone, perhaps she was lost? Who knew but something about her made her seem trustworthy enough. In that moment I had decided she would be the one to help me get back to Novigrad.

I stumbled out of the brush, tripping on my way and falling down on my knees just in front of her horse. She came to a jolted stop as her mare spooked at my fall. Her tone motherly and filled with worry
"Oh darling are you okay?"
She jumped off her horse and helped me back on my feet. Our eyes locked but the smile she had didnt melt away like it does with everyone else, it was almost as if she didnt care about my eyes, the torture that was licked away in them. She patted off the dust from my clothes. I nodded in response to her question and said sheepishly,
"Im sorry to have jumped out like tha-"
My apology was cut short as she pulled me into a hug and still smiling said,
"No need to apologise darling, now then,"
She looked me up and down
"Where are you headed to?"
She crossed her arms and waited for my answer, i cast my eyes down at the ground as hers were omnipotent and powerful.
"Home."
I realised how stupid I sounded, she obviously had no idea where I lived,
"I- I live in a small town in Novigrad ma'am"
I could still hear the smile in her voice as she replied after a short silence
"No need to call me ma'am, the names Triss. Triss Merigold. And funny you should say that, Im headed to Novigrad right now, care to join me? Its less bleak when you travel with someone"
I smiled, she was so kind to me. One of the first who was truly kind to me. Keenly i agreed to the offer, letting out a shrilling whistle Ghost soon appears from the brush. We mounted our rides and made our way along the path chatting away.

Talking to Triss was so easy, she was such an easygoing yet stubborn soul. I felt my worries and tenseness melt around her, she reminded me a lot if my mother. The sun was now sitting in its proud spot high up on the skyline, my stomach let out an unamused growl- letting me know it was time to eat. I rummaged around my bag for the last few scraps of food I managed to stow away from the keep and began eating. I could feel Triss' stare and as I swallowed I turned to look at her. Her young face was still beaming at me
"You know I dont think i caught your name"
Here we go with some more small talk I thought
"Y/N"
You quickly replied in between bites, she nodded
"Suits you. Y/N you do know if you are ever hungry I have more than enough food for the both of us in my bag."
There was a slight pause before she continued
"Got it from the Witchers Keep, was down there yesterday actually, just to see how everyone was really. They all seemed really pissed off for some reason but they refused to tell me why... oh well seems like its their problem not mine"
My heart jumped to my throat as I desperately tried to swallow it down. I nodded listening to her story. I guess the good news was they they had given up their search, I could rest easy that they were in fact not on my tail anymore...