[ 21. ]

SUFFER WITH ME.

☤Walking down the darkening street felt like a dream

Walking down the darkening street felt like a dream. It was as if at any moment the world would flip upside down, and May would fall into the abyssal sky. She kept her bag close, relieved that the vibrations of her phone had ceased.

It wasn't easy to drag herself off the floor and clamber out into the evening air. Lamp lights glowed along the path, becoming sparser the further she walked. The skyscrapers began to fade away into the distance, and their lights became artificial stars.

The abandoned building in question lurked in a district several miles from her apartment

The abandoned building in question lurked in a district several miles from her apartment. But she couldn't risk a driver knowing her location. On top of wearing unassuming clothes, she kept a mask over her mouth and walked with her head down. Several hero patrols were shacked up next to benches or surveying the streets which she avoided with ease. She even saw a couple of heroes she recognized earlier in the day.

As she maneuvered the city, it became abundantly clear that Twice did not give the clearest of directions.

The big grey building loomed ahead of her. No lights burned from the inside, and scarlet graffiti covered the outside. Ominous, like a house splattered with the blood of a slit throat, haunted by the spirits of both victim and murderer. Ivy outgrew the fence, and homes that appeared like rickety stacks creaked in the distance. At every breeze, trash would rustle around and flit through the brush.

I've only driven by this area once.

Though, when May rested her hand against the chain-link fencing, the building moved more like a monster. Every entrance looked as though it was full of sharp teeth, ready to chew her up and spit her out.

After walking the perimeter once, May found a gaping hole in the fence and squatted low. The uneven chain-link scratched at her cheek and snagged her clothes.

She stumbled out onto a grassy concrete path. Ugh, there has to be an easier way. Now inside.

The canvas of her bag brushed against her jacket. She chose to listen to that instead of the wind slamming against loose sheets of steel and broken glass. There weren't many entrance options, so May decided to enter the first door she saw.