[ 10. ]

☤

An exasperated huff sounded on the other end of the line. "It's only been two days. Are you sure you're not overreacting?"

May continued packing her things, squeezing the phone between her shoulder and ear. "I wish I were."

"You're a medical person at a school! Come on, May. Last time you called me saying that, it was like during your palliative care rotation or something."

"No, no," May said and straightened her back. "I don't think you understand. Without my quirk, one of the students would've needed reconstructive hand surgery!"

Silence filled May's ear for a moment. Her friend was thinking.

"Already?" Eiko's voice lost its dismissive tone. "Shit, what are they even doing? Is syllabus week a thing for high schoolers? Damn, I can't even remember."

May flung up her right hand. At least someone agreed with her. "Yeah, thank you! Everyone is acting like it's normal. I knew I was here for some ulterior reason. I..."

Her voice trailed, and she shouldered her bag.

"I don't know what you expect me to say, May. It sounds insane. Can't you talk to them about this? It's only the second day, and you've already had an injury like that?"

"I don't think anyone would listen to me," May said, walking around the room to do a final check. "I'm not a professional hero."

"You don't know that. I think it's worth a mention. It's just gonna escalate as the year goes on, right, if you're making it out as bad as it actually is?"

"You're right. Maybe I am overreacting a little." May nodded, pacing without thinking much about it.

She opened the fridge, looking at each pouch of blood. How was her stock somewhat low already? Her head hung, and she squeezed her eyes shut.

"There's something else, isn't there?" Eiko prodded.

"When is there not?" May lifted her head and shut the fridge. She paused before continuing. "I think I'm going to need the operation, Eiko."

"What? No, we talked about this! That's like so invasive!"

May heard Eiko stand up, the rush of air blasting through the speaker.

"I don't think I have a choice now. It's not so bad, Eiko. I've already used my quirk more than I'd like to admit. I think it's something I should consider."

"You're using your quirk too much, then. That's what you even said! I don't think you should. It's not like people won't see it. People... like... might take advantage of that?"

"I don't care about that." May moved toward the door, beginning to shut it behind her. "These injuries aren't easy, and the goal is to heal them immediately. I would have direct access. I have to do my job properly... I don't... I don't want to be fired."