[ 03. ]

☤

The beacon of hope and peace stood in front of May, right next to the small furry and suited mouse. The man was directly addressing her. It had the same premise as one of her strange dreams. After he spoke, there was a silence that fell on the three of them.

The expression on both the hero's faces was apprehensive as they looked between each other. Then, back at May. What's going on? May's eyes widened, thinking they were going to drop a bombshell on her. Which they were.

"Is something wrong?" She asked, her mind already running through seven impossibilities.

"No! Not with you, I hope," Nezu said, which didn't ease May's worries.

"Well, our previous medical staffer was injured not too long ago and forced into retirement. I searched through a lot of candidates to find the right person to replace her."

Nezu moved to a seat. In turn, All Might and May did the same. Underneath the table, she pinched her leg to make sure she wasn't dreaming. Her pleads to wake up went unheard

Keeping her composure was proving to be a challenge. The peaceful street of life sped up to a haywire superhighway.

"We are entrusting you with a lot. Knowledge that, if exploited, could result in disastrous consequences."

During the chaotic whirlwind of the surprise, May completely forgot about her new position and what it would entail. The determination she felt spread from her chest to her hands. They no longer shook. Though it was the last thing she expected, May accepted it.

The realization that people depended on her always struck a chord. She didn't have time to mourn about the fact she wouldn't be performing brain surgeries or researching dementia. In the span of those five minutes, the job was starting to look less and less like a huge mistake. But it was still a mistake.

"In addition to assisting the students, under the contract, you can be sent out to various pro-hero agencies every so often to assist with dangerous missions. This job is much more than just being a simple nurse, Dr. Kataoka."

May swallowed. The part about being contracted out caused her to feel more like a commodity than anything else. She would have to discuss that with him privately. I'm not a hero; it doesn't work like that.

His last statement caused her heart to beat faster. She wondered if he could read thoughts. Was that his quirk?

"We rely on the instructors to protect our students, but we are counting on you to be there for everyone. Some of our heroes also have certain conditions that need regular attention. Such as All Might." Nezu motioned toward the huge man and then continued speaking.

"Before deciding to hire you, we debated heavily on whether or not to discuss certain specifics with you. Due to extenuating circumstances, however, it appears we do not have a choice."