[ 04. ]

☤

A week passed, and May found herself more prepared for the upcoming school year than she expected. She was working tirelessly to get everything in order, leaving late most days. Luckily, Recovery Girl had left behind detailed notes for her replacement. She wondered about the woman that the staff held in such high regard.

May's time never felt long enough. It was hours of studying the types of injuries she would see and mentally ordering her treatment plans for how she would solve problems when they presented themselves. With such a diverse range of quirks, it was impossible to know what the future held.

Tinkering with the medical bots was another issue that May wrestled. Even with a minor in bioengineering, May found herself struggling to figure them out. They were much more advanced than any of the rudimentary artificial intelligence she worked with previously.

All the while, May began to get to know the rest of the staff in between her intense work.

Cementoss, or as he insisted, Ken, was an excellent sounding board for her ideas. He was one of the first pro-heroes to approach her outside of the staff meeting actively. It was nice to have someone already on her side.

She was used to asking advice about where her research would head to other colleagues and just talking aloud. He didn't know much, but he enjoyed learning about medicine and made a fantastic cup of tea.

"Where did you graduate from, Dr. Kataoka?" He asked one day, watching her bang a screwdriver against the metal of a medical bot. Strewn at her side, vague instructions with special notes from Power Loader laid. It was not graceful.

"University of Tokyo," May chirped, dusting off her hands. "I also completed an abroad program within eastern Europe. Nothing with robots, however."

Their conversations mostly consisted of a back and forth, getting to know each other. Some days, Ken would leave the Recovery Room with May and continue their discussions well out of the school. He was a pleasant man, much different than May expected from his stern appearance.

Everyone else May only saw in passing. She assumed All Might was busy with his new pupil. May tried to catch him. It was essential to initiate his treatment plan, but he outran her every time.

Nezu would pop in like Cementoss, sitting on the hospital beds and chattering about whatever he had read. Aizawa was another elusive character. He seemed to be avoiding her on purpose. Anytime she would catch a flutter of black, it would be out of sight in a matter of minutes.

May asked Ken about him, and he told her that he was always wary of newer people. Especially someone who wasn't well known within the hero circuit.

While May reordered some medications, she decided to mention to Ken about the inflexibility comment. It tickled him, causing the cement man to chuckle to himself.