[ 18. ]

☤

Life was heavy for May Kataoka. When she lifted her body from her bed, she stared out at the orange sun. It blinded her and cast dark blue shadows across the room. Her feet hit the floor with a thud. A cold jolt rushed up her legs, working its way through her body until her brain froze.

Did that really happen?

May looked to her nightstand, staring at the scarlet blinking number. She felt as though if she reached out to her alarm clock, it would disappear between her fingers like smoke. Dust particles danced in the beam of light through her window. Suspended in the air, the dust looked so carefree. Not worried about anything. Not worried about heroes. Not worried about villains.

Her fingers outstretched themselves in front of her

I could've died, and that would've been it.

She let her fingers contract and flex.

And no one would've known. I don't have a legacy. I don't have a rank. I don't have— anything.

Her body turned and faced the bed again. May lowered her hands and let them twist into the sheets. When her head hung to meet the floor, a dull ache in her neck grew into a sharp thorn.

There's nothing I could've done. And nothing I can do.

She stood up tall again.

Nothing. So much nothing. Nothing to say, nothing to tell, nothing anybody can do for me.

A deep breath escaped her chest, which was both hollow and hammering. Her heart dared to break through her body and bound away. How was she going to face everyone? They had so much power. Seeing those kids bounce right back from sparring matches seemed like a cruel joke.

It's fine.

May doubled over.

It's just another patient.

She heaved once.

It's fine. He didn't hurt me. He didn't kill me. He won't kill me.

She stopped heaving.