Chapter Twenty-One

I'm rushing down the hall, dressed, with my hair dripping onto my clothes, still wet from the shower. I'm shaking from my encounter with Cora, even though it was almost twenty-minutes ago now. I need to see Wren, even if it's just for a moment.

"It's after hours!" A guard barks at me.

"It'll just be a second!" I call over my shoulder.

I hear the footsteps following me and I increase my pace, hoping to get there in time, but a hand roughly grips my bicep.

"Back to your room," he gruffly says, a deep frown creasing his forehead.

"I just have to–"

"Move it," he snaps, his grip tightening. "Don't make me ask you again."

My shoulders sag in defeat and I let him drag me down the hall, towards my room. He stands there, arms folded, waiting until I step inside. I grumble under my breath and dramatically slam the door.

"This school sucks," I huff, collapsing onto my bed.

"Agreed," replies Constance, who has been in a particularly terrible mood since the party bust-up.

I can feel my anxiety creeping up on me, and I take a long, steadying breath. When I close my eyes, I see smile lines, soft lips, his body on top of mine.

Thinking of Wren is definitely comforting, but I still feel twitchy and anxious when I try to sleep. Each groan and sign of the walls around me has me on edge. The light underneath the door flickers and my breath hitches in my throat. I sit up fast in bed and stare at the door. The shadow moves again. I can't breathe. I rush to the door and fling it open. The hallway is empty.

"What the hell are you doing?" Constance groans, throwing her arm over her eyes.

"Someone was at the door," I whisper.

"A guard, probably."

My heart is hammering inside my chest. I wait a little longer, before closing the door and creeping back into my bed.

Wren, Wren, Wren. Pretty eyes. Handsome face.

"Jesus, can you breathe any heavier?" snaps Constance, irritation rolling off of her. She has been pissed at me for a couple of reasons. One, for not telling her about me and Wren. Two, she heard (somehow) that I comforted Cora after the pizza-in-face incident, instead of (loyally, direct quote) following her. I also think she is annoyed I have an issue with her being back with Harlow. "Leave some oxygen in the room for me."

"Fuck off," I snarl at her, kicking the blankets off of my legs.

"You fuck off."

"Fine!" I hiss, leaping to my feet again. I slide into my sandals and stomp out of the room. It's silent and dark, except for the dim lights of the EXIT signs hanging on the walls, which is how I saw the shadow in the first place. I pad down the hall, hardly daring to breathe, and stop when I reach Wren's door.

I lightly twist the knob and step inside. It's quiet, except for the deep breathing. Harlow's bed squeaks and he makes a sound, rolling over, facing the wall. I sigh with relief when I hear his snores and continue to step silently over to Wren.

"Wren," I whisper.

"Hm?" he mumbles, startled.

"Hi. Move over."

He blinks. Yawns. Blinks again, but obliges. I slide in beside him. The bed is warm, and he embraces me, dragging me close.

"Am I dreaming?" he mumbles softly, probably still half-asleep.