Chapter Thirteen

When I get to lunch, my stomach is growling with hunger. I've forgotten when I've last eaten, again. The menu is better than usual today and I order a fruit salad.

"Hey Addy," Constance smiles at me, moving across the bench, making room for me. I'm so glad the tiff we had is over. I realise Constance is very easy-going and nice until you're not on her good side. Thankfully—probably because I'm her roommate—I'm still on her good side.

I take a seat and my legs touches Wren, who instantly turned when he heard my name.

His smile makes my day. We have had no classes together, so this was the first time I have seen him.

"Wow, that looks good!" Constance says, leaning over to get a closer look at my food. "Wish I saw that when I was up there."

Wren plucks my fork from my hand and stabs it into a piece of mango, before popping it into his mouth. I groan.

"Can you please eat your own food for once?"

"But yours is so much better," he whines.

"Wren! Learn some manners," Constance smacks his hand away when he reaches for my food. "Maybe you're the reason Addy is so thin; you eat all her damn food!"

My breath falls short and I almost choke for a moment, but everyone continues to banter, teasing Wren. I relax. The topic of my mental health is something I honestly can't handle.

"I heard you got a little drunk on the weekend?" Constance asks with an eyebrow raised, smirking. "Harlow said you stripped half-naked!"

"Well, if Harlow said it, it must be true," I snap much harsher than I intended to.

Constance looks taken back at my words. Harlow meets my eyes with a steady gaze.

"Nah, didn't mean it like that. It was just the game," he smiles, his smile as friendly as ever, his eyes not so much.

"I recall walking in on you in your briefs, mate," Wren pipes up.

"What?" Constance asks.

"It was just a stupid game," I say.

Constance looks confused, and I desperately want the subject to change. The guilt pooling in the pit of my stomach makes me feel unwell.

"Hey! Mind if I join?" a voice interrupts.

All of our eyes swivel to see Cora standing at the end of the table.

"Yes," Wren says rudely.

"Wren!" Constance looks horrified at his bluntness. "Of course. Hi. I'm Constance."

She gets to her feet and I feel like I'm watching everything in slow-mode. I look to Harlow, who finally looks a little uneasy as he flicks his gaze between the two girls.

"Cora," she says with a slight smirk, sitting opposite to us, close to Harlow. "I'm a friend of Addison's."

"Really?" Constance looks surprised. "You know each other?"

"Not really," I say.

"We just met," Cora smiles. "Hey, Wren."

Wren ignores her and takes another scoop of my salad.

"Wren!" Constance frowns. "You are being particularly wretched today. What's your problem?"

A headache is forming behind my eyes. I press my fingers to my temple and rub in circles.

Harlow quickly gets to his feet. "Wren, let's go."

Wren doesn't question his friend. He touches my shoulder briefly as he stands.