Chapter Nineteen

This is my Christmas present to u. Enjoy xoxo

It was surprisingly easy to sneak Wren into my room, considering there wasn't a guard in the hall when we returned to the hallway, popcorn, and bowls in our arms.

We spent the night watching movies, talking with lazy kisses in between. The more time I spend with him, the more I realise how ridiculous it was to let myself freeze up in that situation with Cora. That will not happen again, simply because I don't want it to.

The morning light slithers through the barred window and I yawn, rubbing my eyes sleepily. Wren is squished in beside me, breathing softly, his head buried into my shoulder. Considering how hard the mattress is and little space there is, I slept deep, dreamless, and calm.

I study his face. Long lashes, light freckles, lips slightly parted, dark hair spilling across his forehead. He is beautiful.

Reaching out, I stroke my fingers into his hair. He makes a quiet sound in the back of his throat, pushing his head into my hand. I smile, applying pressure to my fingers, pushing deeper into his scalp.

"I could get used to this," he mumbles.

"Me too."

"Come here," he drawls, wrapping his arm around my waist and dragging me closer until I'm underneath him. I try not to breathe; in case I have morning breath. He kisses the side of my head, his hand exploring my torso. His hand cups my breast and his thumb slides over it. I inhale sharply at the feel of it.

I arch my back, pushing myself into his hand. He kisses the corner of my mouth before getting to my lips. It's a deep, warm kiss, and I forget about all my insecurities. His hand gently palms me, before inching down my side.

His fingers play delicately on the line between my skin and underwear when the door to my room bursts open. Constance strides in, her hair a wild afro, sunglasses plunged into them.

"Ahh!" Her startled scream echoes around the room, filling my head.

Wren groans, rolling off of me and glaring up at the ceiling.

"When the hell did this start?" Constance explodes, hands on her hips, wide eyes darting from him to me.

I sigh, laying on my back.

There goes our romantic weekend.

***

Constance and Harlow are fighting in my room, and there's a party underway in Wren's, so we spend the afternoon in the rec room, playing ping pong, chess, and cards. I try not to be annoyed at Constance for coming back early–something to do with a fight with her mum–but I can't help feeling disappointed.

Considering everyone is away for the weekend, or at the party, the place is deserted and we have free rein of the T.V. I'm sprawled across Wren's lap, his fingers massaging my head. I doze in and out of sleep through the movie, feeling by far the most relaxed I have since I've been here.

"Come to my place next weekend," he says.

"Is that allowed?"

"Can you go to your foster parents' place, but come stay with me?" he suggests, peering down at me.

"I can try," I say. "I'll see if Harold can come see me through the week, I'll ask him."

"Sounds good. I need to get out of this place. Can't stand it."