Chapter Sixteen

When I think back to last night, I can't stop smiling.

Wren took me to get ice cream, even though we were shivering, and completely drenched. We found an undercover spot and stayed there for hours. Talking, kissing, and talking some more.

I stand at the end of the driveway, the searing sun beating down on me. I drag my hand across my brow, sweeping away the sweat that had gathered. Wren materialises at the end of the street. He strolls toward me in a pair of black board shorts and a towel over his shoulder.

"Hey," he greets with his cute smile and pretty eyes.

I can't stop staring at his lips. I want him to kiss me again.

"Hey," I smile.

I instantly reach for my wrist and mentally curse when my finger brushes the bare skin. No sleeves, again. I'm in a flowy dress that sits at the base of my throat, covering everything that I need it to. Underneath, I'm in my red bikini. The thought of stripping at the beach almost made me vomit this morning, but I forced myself to stop thinking about it. Wren has seen the scars. It doesn't matter. I don't have to answer any questions I don't want to.

"You okay?"

"Hmm?"

"You look like you're thinking hard over there," he says to me, his hand wrapping itself with mine. "This isn't about last night, is it?"

"I've been non-stop thinking about last night," I admit with a sheepish grin.

"Me too."

"Who's going to be at the beach?" I ask.

"Jay, and my two other mates, Connor and Keagan, and Keagan's girlfriend, Sherrie."

"Are they cool?"

"The coolest," he assures me with a sarcastic grin.

It's hot, I'm sweating, and my breathing is heavy. I hope he doesn't notice. My fingers twitch and I scratch the inside of my wrist.

"Don't do that."

"What?" I ask too quickly.

He pulls my fingers away, holding them firmly in his. "You don't have to be nervous or anxious about anything."

"Easier said than done." I hate that there is a bite to my voice.

"I know," he murmurs softly. "Sorry. I didn't mean it like that."

I blow out a breath. "This is hugely out of my comfort zone."

"You're doing great."

"Can you distract me?" I half-groan, my head swimming with thoughts, telling me to make an excuse to leave, and how I wish the ground would swallow me up.

"Gladly," says Wren, before his mouth is on mine.

I melt into him. Wren's hands find my waist and hold onto it tightly. I press into him, looping my arms around his neck. My towel slips off my shoulder. I tilt my head back and the kiss deepens. His tongue is warm and wet and slippery. He kisses down my jaw and onto my neck.

My insides coil and uncoil. I pull his face to mine and kiss him again.

We kiss for a long time and whatever I was worrying about before vanishes from my mind. His tongue possessively strokes mine and I groan into him.

"As much as I love this," he eventually pants. "We are going to be very late."

I blink back to reality. I sort of forget where we are and what we are doing. I shake my head.