Chapter Five

The next morning, I wake feeling refreshed.

For once, I'm not hungover. I slept well, and last night showed me that there might be something worthwhile in this hellhole.

"Turn that damn thing off," Constance snarls, and I realise my thoughts had been so deep that I hadn't registered my alarm. I quickly switch it off and roll to my side.

"Hey."

"Nope," she groans. "Not today."

"What's not today?"

"Life."

I grin. It really is a great feeling to wake up with no headache and be able to recall the memories of the night before. I lift my hands to my face and inhale, still able to smell the paint on my fingertips.

There are noticeably fewer people in the cafeteria this morning, and I wonder if the party last night is the result of that. I order my coffee and welcome the hot liquid. It scalds my throat as I swallow.

I spot Harlow, Wren, and a few others from last night standing off the side and I head toward them. I sidle up to Wren and offer him a smile.

"Hey there."

"Hola senorita," Harlow greets me with a cheery wave.

"Madison," Wren nods at me.

"Ran."

His gaze finds mine and his lip twitches.

"Hey," Sandy-Hair greets me and I can't help the look of dread pass over my face as I side-eye him, remembering his sloppy kisses and hand fondling from last night.

His face falters at my expression. Wren reaches for my coffee and takes a sip.

"Hey!" I exclaim.

"Hay is for horses," he replies. "Thanks for the coffee."

He pushes from the wall and leaves, taking my drink with him. I frown after him and the bell rings. Great. Now I don't have time to get another.

"Where did you end up last night?" Harlow asks me.

"Yeah?" Sandy-hair interjects. He has a square jaw, and eyes that look a little too round for his face.

A voice crackles from an intercom in the ceiling, demanding everyone gather in the gymnasium. Harlow looks at me with a knowing look in his eyes.

"Something has happened."

"Like what?"

"You tell me."

He grins, reaching out and lightly touching my hand. I see a faint red tinge to them. I yank my hand from his with a sheepish smile.

By the time we reach the gym, Constance has emerged, looking as tired as I felt yesterday. She gives me a look, warning not to say hello. I'm guessing she didn't have time to shower.