Chapter Twenty-Six

My feet slap the belt of the treadmill evenly as I run.

Sweat coats my skin and slides down the back of my neck, disappearing underneath the tight top I'm wearing. Blinking the sweat that is dripping into my eyes away, I heave an exhale, slowing the belt down to a walk.

Cora is doing my fucking head in. I want nothing to do with her, but why does my body react like that when she puts hands on me? Is it curiosity? Is it my need to self-sabotage everything good in my life?

When the belt eventually stops, I lean heavily onto it, breathing hard.

"You good?"

I glance towards Constance, who is strolling towards me, her skin covered in just as much sweat as mine, her wild barely contained into a messy knot on top of her head. She's dressed in a stunning beige-coloured gym set that she apparently won in a giveaway. I would kill for a matching set like that, although I'm not sure I could pull off the set as her curves do.

"Yeah," I pant. "You done?"

"Yeah, just need to stretch."

"I'll stretch, too," I say, climbing off the treadmill and following her to the centre of the floor. We move our arms and shoulders first, before making the way down the rest of our bodies, twisting, pulling, and turning, trying to ease our muscles from the intense session we just put ourselves through.

It's been a boring week. Wren has skipped more classes than usual. He either blows it off to work out, smoke weed or literally sleeps until 1 p.m. I have no idea how he hasn't been sent to isolation or had some sort of punishment. I don't know how the system works here, but all I know is that I'm not jeopardising myself in getting out of here as soon as I can.

Tomorrow, we have plans to head to the lake party. Everyone is going to head home tonight, and all meet up at one of the public gazebos to have a few pre-drinks before we attend the party together. It's what has got me through the week. I can't wait to get out of here and let loose with my friends.

"What are you going to wear tomorrow?" Constance asks.

"I'm not sure, I'm going to have to go shopping in the morning to find something. What about you?"

Leaning forward, she touches her toes. "I have a top and skirt I think I'll wear, and sandals."

"Sounds good."

After stretching, you both pad back to the dorm. I shower, dress, and pack for the weekend, before trotting down the hallway. Wren greets me at the bottom of the stairs. I jump over the last step and launch into his arms. He lets out a gruff sound when we connect. My legs wrap around him and his chest vibrates against my body as he laughs. His arms tighten around me.

"Hi," he smiles.

"Hi."

I lean down and he softly kisses my nose, before offering me a slow, deep kiss that has me moaning, and pressing my hips into his. He tsks at me, pulling back, smirking.

"You can't do that to me in a public place," he warns. "I have no problem bending you over and fucking you right here."

My cheeks heat up as I grin back at him. Gently, he lowers me to my feet, collecting my hand in his. We are staying with our own family tonight–much to my dismay–but are going to go out for breakfast in the morning and browse at the shops. It feels so nice to have plans outside of these walls. Normal.

It will be nice to spend some quality time with my foster family tonight, though. When Wren is there, my entire focus and attention are on him, so it will be nice to see them for a while before I'm off for the weekend. I'm sure I'll be out late Saturday night and then probably hungover Sunday. I plan to have a big night, and I'm certainly not alone in thinking that.