Moving on

Chapter 3

For the rest of the week, Felix attempted to pursue a friendship with Marinette, which was not as difficult as he thought it would be. They didn't talk much, but it was never an uncomfortable silence. She would sketch while he read his books. She would ask him what he was reading that day and he would ask what the theme was that she would sketch for her designs. When she nearly knocked over her drink onto her sketchbook and he caught it before it spilled, she looked at him as if he had saved her livelihood.

One day, she brought in a box of madeleines to share with the class, himself included. He was about to tell her "no, thank you", but their heavenly scent beckoned him to try one, and he was not disappointed. From the satisfied smile on her face, he knew that his satisfaction showed and she promised to bring more in the future.

Later that week, she was flipping through her sketchbook to look at some of her designs and he was not so subtly spying at the sketches over her shoulder. At one particular sketch, she was about to turn the page and he placed his hand on the paper to stop her. She seemed surprised but scooted the book closer to him so he could get a better look. The design was exquisite, clearly influenced by her Chinese heritage, with black slacks that were form-fitting without being too tight or baggy and came just below the knees. The top was high collared with a flower at the base of the throat, a songbird at the left side of the chest, and gossamer fabric for the sleeves and connecting just above the waist. Although he had liked many of her other designs, this one was quite beautiful… but it seemed to be missing something.

Marinette seemed to agree. "I really like this one, too. I want to make it, but I'm not done with it yet."

Using scrutinizing eyes, he inspected the design in the way his father had taught him to look at a costume on set and figure out how it was out of place. "It's the bird," he told her.

She quickly shook her head. "I'm going to keep the songbird, I'm really looking forward to the challenge of hand-stitching it."

"And I'm not suggesting that it be done away with, simply that you tie it in more with the design," he clarified.

Her eyes narrowed on the design, seeming to study it, and consider dozens of possibilities in a matter of seconds. Felix could tell when one idea stuck because the brows raised slightly and she quickly reached into her bag to retrieve her pencil. That small conversation became something else he could respect about her. Most artists he knew would disregard any constructive criticism that came their way and vitally defends their work. Marinette did defend elements of her work with an actual reason and accepted the criticism to be used at her own discretion.

When she gave a satisfied humm, Felix looked back down at the page, not even realizing that he had been staring at her face as she had been sketching. It was not a dramatic change, but it made all the difference. The top now had a black border where the gossamer fabric connected at the waist, and that black fabric reached up like a delicate tree branch that the bird was perching on, preparing to sing it's a melodic song. It was perfect.

He gave his own humm of approval, earning a beaming smile from the designer.

giving him the impression that just maybe… Unable to help himself, Felix gave her a genuine smile that matched her own. Sticking out his hand, she immediately took it and gave it a shake. "I am most honored that you would allow me to be your friend."