Here Comes trouble part 3

Chapter 18

Cordelia Cess was a smart woman. She hadn’t won Evelyn Culpa’s favor because of her looks but because she was hardworking, had an eye for details, and - most importantly - had a talent for assessing people.

So when Lila Rossi stood in their salon, only minutes after Miss Dupain-Cheng had left and Felix had begun his violin lessons, she instantly knew this girl was trouble.

“Thank you for having me.”, the girl said to Evelyn in a voice so sickly sweet, Cordelia was sure it would stick to the yellow tapestries like chewing gum. “I originally wanted to speak to you and Felix together, but I think it might actually be better to talk to you alone.”

Lila was facing Evelyn in the middle of the room, whereas Cordelia stood at the wall. She had a perfect view of both of their profiles; could see every hidden doubt in Evelyn’s lovely brown eyes and every twitch in Lila’s faked smile without being spared a glance by the girl. It had its advantages to be an assistant. She was often overlooked.

“I would have asked Felix to postpone his lesson if I knew there was another friend of my son visiting. Maybe prepared some biscuits.”, Evelyn replied, careful to appear accommodating. “But I was busy for a while and just now received your message.”

Lila waved it off.

“That’s no problem, I won’t stay for long. Felix brings enough sweets as it is, he basically showers me in them. He’s so generous.”

Another red flag. Cordelia remembered exactly that Felix had brought biscuits to school on two occasions: the first time when he wanted to stay at the art room for a while longer, and the other time specifically for Miss Dupain-Cheng because she had liked them so much. He had never mentioned a Lila, and while he did like to be secretive, he always shared good experiences with Cordelia, sometimes even before he talked to his mother. She took great pride in the fact he trusted her and would have remembered Lila’s name.

She gave Evelyn a short glance, and her love nodded slightly. She had picked it up as well.

“That… surprises me, Mademoiselle Rossi.”

Lila’s posture crumbled ever so slightly, before recovering almost instantly.

“I already suspected that, Madame Culpa. There may be some things you don’t know about your son, which is why I am here.”

Cordelia raised an eyebrow at that, but Evelyn kept her smile.

“Oh, really?”

“Yes. Did Felix tell you about his first day at school?”

He had been surprisingly quiet that day, Cordelia realized in retrospect. Had told his mother about his first friend, and later asked her to reschedule his violin lessons to accommodate more time on Thursdays he could spend at the art room. His calligraphy had improved even more since then.

But about what actually happened that day…

“Surely, you know how passionate he is about his poems.”, Lila continued. “He showed me a few, even wrote one for me in secret.”

Cordelia doubted every word in that sentence.

“That day, his notebook was stolen right out of his bag. The thief gave it back but could evade repercussions by claiming she didn’t know how it came into her possession. Since Felix didn’t want to call her out in public - you know how composed he is - she managed to get closer to him this week.”