framed part 1

Chapter 13

When the gong announced the end of the lesson, Adrien intercepted her at the door.

"Marinette! Do you have a minute?"

She was still sullen that he'd been so quiet during the seating dilemma, but nodded anyway. How could she refuse those puppy eyes?

"Sure! What is it?"

"Oh, I just wanted to thank you for helping Felix. You're a great class rep, Marinette."

Immediately, her face grew warm.

"Y-You think so? Glank you- I mean, Thank you, I'm glad to hear that!"

"I'm just t bit worried about Lila" he continued and her heart sank. "She seemed really upset after you shut her idea down."

She looked away, trying to control her breathing. Lila this, Lila that. Don't you dare make her life anything other than perfect?t.

"That was not my intention. I just thought someone should make clear people have their own opinions."

He beamed.

"That's so nice of you, really! I'm sure she appreciates it, deep down." he praised, probably missing her point by lightyears. "But... We don't want her to get akumatized again, do we? You know how prone she is to Hawkmoth's influence."

"She is?", asked a voice from behind her. Felix has appeared in the door, followed by smug-looking Lila. Apparently, she knew exactly what was going on and was more than happy about it. Well, this time she wouldn't get what she wanted.

"Yes", Marinette answered, looking directly at Lila. "As of late, Lila seems to be quite the illusionist as Akuma. I wonder why Hawkmoth always comes back to that."

She heard Adrien behind her gulp as more other classmates began to crowd around them. To her surprise, Lila gave her a quick smirk before putting on a pitiful face and letting her shoulders drop.

"It's true", she lamented. "Hawkmoth has been targeting me a lot, lately. Maybe it's because... no, of course not."

"What?" Alya asked readily, her journalistic eagerness shining through. "What is it?"

Lila looked away.

"Well, usually, Ladybug always watches out for me, since I'm her best friend. But I guess she has a lot to do recently if so many akumas get through to me. Or maybe she's... maybe she's just not as dedicated to her job anymore? Who knows?"

Felix next to her frowned.

"You are Ladybug's best friend? I would've thought it was that Chat Noir."

Lila chuckled and smiled up at him.

"Don't be silly!" She looked at Adrien. "Chat Noir is her boyfriend."

In false alarm, she put a hand on her mouth and widened her eyes.

"Oops!"