Late!! : How to Induce Labor

Chapter 43

5 months later

If there was any woman on the planet less comfortable, Marinette wanted to meet her and commiserate on their misfortune.  Well, it wasn’t a misfortune as the last few months had been interesting and life-changing and beautiful all wrapped up in this insane adventure of life.

But now she was two days past her due date and feeling every minute of it.  Not being able to walk without her ankles swelling was getting old.  Walking everywhere was getting old.  Sitting on the couch doing nothing because of the large obstruction on her abdomen was getting old.  People cooing at her and touching her stomach without even asking was getting old.  Her husband tapping his pen against the table was getting really old.

“Can you stop?”  She snapped, feeling a slight pang of guilt when he jumped and looked instantly ashamed.

“Stop what?”  Felix looked scared.  Ugh.

“Tapping.”

“Oh, I’m sorry; I didn’t realize I was doing it.”  He winced.  “Can I get you anything?”

“Sure.”  Felix leaped up and started to pull together her favorite kind of tea that had dramatically changed since her pregnancy.  Before she preferred it sweeter, but now she was leaning toward milk instead.  “Here.”  He set the tray down on the coffee table and handed her the mug with a half-smile.  “Good?”

“Good.”  Marinette allowed and rested the cup on her belly, not bothering to reach for the table.  Felix thought it was weird when she used their baby as a shelf, but Marinette was past caring right now.  “Why won’t he come?”

“He’ll come when he’s ready,”  Felix murmured and winced at her scowl.  It was hard to tell what was going to infuriate her right now and what she’d be alright with.  “The doctor gave us that list of things to try.”

“Where did I put it?”  Marinette frowned, trying to remember where she’d thrown the pamphlet, not believing that her baby was capable of being so sadistic to stay inside her for longer than necessary.

“I think you stuck it in the mail basket.”  Felix got up and moved for the flat, handwoven basket that her mother had sent them as a housewarming present. when they’d married a little over a year ago.  He dug through it for a few minutes while his wife sipped her tea on the couch, feeling slightly less cranky with the hot liquid in her system.  “Got it.”  Felix brought it over and looked over the shortlist.  “Ten things we can try.”

“Let’s do this.”  Marinette sat up.

“First is sex.”

“No, what’s two.”  Marinette determined and Felix rolled his eyes.

“Two is sex-related.”  Felix got the hint to move on to three at the look in her eyes.  “Alright, I’ll just read the list.  It’s walking, acupuncture, acupressure, spicy food, castor oil, evening primrose oil, massage, or a bumpy car ride.”  He looked up at his wife who was looking thoughtful.  “Should we go in order or…?”

“No.”  Marinette shifted.  “Spicy food first, it’s almost dinner time, I’m hungry.”  She rubbed her stomach.

“Alright, want to go out or should I go pick something up?” Felix put the options out there.

“No, let me leave the house.”  Marinette stood up walked for the bedroom as Felix’s eyes followed how swollen she was.

This was going to be interesting.

1. Spicy Food

To share his pain and add to Marinette’s social hour, Felix had called both Nino and Alya who agreed to come and occupy Marinette for a few hours.  Felix and Marinette got to Sally’s Seaweed Noodlery first and ordered four bowls of the spiciest dish on the menu.