Chapter One

---A Week Earlier---

Hey, it's ya' girl Aaliyah. It's pronounced Ah-Lee-Yah, like Muhammad Ali. I just made 22, and I just moved to New York with my bestfriend and roommate, Teyana. I'm currently on a job hunt.

"What about a waitress at IHOP?" I bit down on my pen cap.

"Can you bring home leftovers?" Teyana curled up her hair.

"Umm, I don't think so."

"Then pass." She sprayed hairspray all around her head.

"Maybe a daycare worker! I love kids."

"I do too, but girl. That place is located in the hood. PTY like you would get hurt." She smoothed out her dress in the mirror.

"Then what should I do?" I threw my hands in the air.

"Come to Club 44 with me! You can sing and dance. You'll get discovered, be famous, and live happily ever after!"

"Hmm, I don't know." I tapped my fingers on the table.

"Well now you do. Put on some clothes, you're going." She threw my jacket over to there I was sitting.

"I-I know this girl didn't just.." I took off my glasses and rubbed my eyes.

A half an hour later, we arrived at Club 44. Teyana was right, this place is the most popular club in New York right now.

"Come on, you need to meet my girl Rih Rih!" Teyana hollered over the music.

Teyana grabbed me by my wrist and dragged me to the bar.

When the girl turned around, she had a bright smile and a pretty face, along with brown sugar skin.

"Teyana! You're just in time for ya' shift gal!" She smiled at me.

"Girl, meet my girl Liyah. Liyah this is Rih Rih." Teyana popped her gum and went behind the bar.

"It's Aaliyah." I smiled at her.

"And I'm Rihanna." She rolled her eyes at Teyana and sat next to me.

"And she's her to perform tonight at open mic night!" Teyana jumped around in her heels and clapped hr hands.

"That is not promised." I said, looking at the performer up stage already.

He had skills, and boy, was he fine.

"That's August, he always steals the show." Rihanna leaned against the bar and folded her arms.

"Somebody needs to put him in his place!" Teyana said.

Some guy in a white suit and blue tie walked past, and Teyana whispered in his ear. He looked at me, then nodded. Oh God, please don't let him be a pimp. He walked away a few minutes later.

"What did you do?" I stirred the cherry in my drink.

"Shut up, I did nothing!" She chuckled and bumped hips with Rihanna.

It was Open Mic Night, so some performers were doing their thing. They were pretty good.

"What's up girls?" Some little girl with long, curly, black hair came hopping on the bar to sit and talking to Rihanna and Teyana.

"Ginger! Your uncle let you come over here?" Rihanna looked at her stunned.

"Yeah, he don't care what I do!" The girl clicked her tounge and fixed her shirt.

"You didn't even graduate 8th grade yet! I would call social services, but I love you too much." Teyana hugged her.

"Yeah yeah yeah, but anyways, I gotta go introduce this performer. Talk to y'all later!" She hopped from the bar and walked to the stage.