two friends sitting in a tree

It was eight PM, the night after the three ghost boys had come into Isabelle's life. Anytime Belle is stressed or confused, she climbs the big tree in her backyard and sits at the top.

This time, it was different. It was different because she wasn't alone this time. "What are you doing up here?" The girl asked Reggie as he poofed onto the tree.

"I saw you climb up here. I figured you shouldn't be alone. You might... fall."

"What're you gonna do if I fall? It's not like you could catch me." Belle cracked a smile.

"Yea. So what're you doing up here, anyway?"

She started playing with her bracelet. "Thinking."

"About?"

"I just found out some life changing news, and I can't get it out of my head."

"Your brother?" The girls head snapped in his direction.

"How'd you know? Oh, right. You guys were eavesdropping."

It was quiet for a minute. But the kind of quiet that was comfortable. "Hey, you know what the guys and I do when we're feeling down? We play a game."

"What kind of game?" She readjusted her positioning.

"Any game. How about twenty-one questions?" He also readjusted his position so that he was facing more toward her.

"Okay." Reggie pointed to her, giving her the heads up to go first. "What's your favorite color."

The boy couldn't help but smile a little. "Red. What's your favorite movie?"

"Easy. Pretty in pink."

"Why pretty in pink? That movie's so old." The boy made sure to keep eye contact with her.

"I'm a sucker for eighties movies... and Duckie Dale." This made the two laugh for a good minute. "Okay, did you have any siblings?"

"Nope. Only child. If you were an animal, any animal in the world, what would you be?"

The girl stared at him for a minute. "Why are your questions so much better than mine? Uhh, I guess a koala?"

"A koala? Why not a tiger or a lion?"

"Koalas are sweet and cuddly." She smiled like an idiot.

"They carry chlamydia. Just saying." Reggie laughed as she rolled her eyes playfully.

"If you could be anywhere in the world, where would you be?" The two didn't notice, but as the game went on, they were slowly leaning closer together.

"Back home." Belle gave a sympathetic smile. "I'd give anything to see my parents again.

The girl teared up. "I can't imagine how you must feel."

"Yes you can. My parents are still alive, out there somewhere. That's nothing compared to what you're going through. You lost a parent. I'm so sorry, Belle."

"It's fine. It happened a while ago." She shrugged as if it meant nothing.

"You don't give yourself enough credit. You've gone through a lot, Belle. You're strong." He looked to her with sorrow filled eyes.

She coughed, bringing herself back to reality. "Your turn."

He hesitated before continuing. "Have you ever had any pets?"

"Not really. I mean, when I was in the adoption home, there was this cat that stayed right outside of the building. We named her Mrs. Whiskers." Reggie laughed at that. "When did you, Alex and Luke meet?"

Reggie thought for a minute. "I can't remember, really. Sometime in middle school, I think. How long have you and Flynn been friends?"

"Since fourth grade. Julie and I didn't get along right away, so Flynn kept her distance. Once I started helping mom and Julie write songs, Julie and I got close and then she introduced me to Flynn. Okay, what's your favorite movie?"

"Oh, it has to be high school musical." Reggie smiled brightly.

"What? How do you even know what that is?"

"Carlos and I watched it yesterday. I really liked the part where they sang." The two laughed until they couldn't breath, and that's how they spent the rest of their night.

Belle really couldn't explain why, but this boy made her so happy.