part one

I WOKE UP TODAY the same way I'd been waking up for the past year

I WOKE UP TODAY the same way I'd been waking up for the past year. Dark bags under my eyes, the desperate need for just an hour more of sleep, and barely able to keep my eyes open. Ever since my mom died, I've had trouble doing basic everyday stuff.

Here's the thing, I'm adopted. I was placed into foster care when I was three, and I didn't get adopted until I was seven years old. My mom took me in when no one else wanted me, and now that she's gone, I have no one to talk to. Aside from my adoptive sister, Julie.

Now it's just me, my dad, Julie, and our little brother. Me, my mom, and Julie used to sing together all the time but, since then, she hasn't sang or touched the piano. I guess it reminds her too much of the times we sang with mom.

Anyway, now that you're caught up to speed with my life, back to my day. I woke up and got ready for school, before walking into the garage. I walked over to the piano and started playing. I know Julie stopped playing, but I made a promise to myself that I'd continue to pursue our mom's biggest passion.

"Hey, Belle, time to go." My dad peeked his head in, causing me to abruptly stop playing the piano.

"Oh, you scared me." I laughed before picking up my bag and walking toward him, out of the door.

Once we got to school, I kept my head down until I got to my locker. After I got my sheet music out, I closed it and made my way over to Julie and Flynn, one of our only friends.

"Hey, Bee." Flynn flashed me a smile.

"Hey." I waved to her, reaching up and pulling my sisters hat off of her head, earning myself a death glare.

"We were just talking about Julie's insane obsession with Nick." She gestured to the blonde jock.

"Well, she better get over it because as we all know, he's dating her sworn enemy." I looked back and forth between Flynn and Julie.

"Okay, okay. Now, if you excuse me, I have to get to music class." Julie pushed us out of the way, causing me and Flynn to look at each other and burst out into laughter, jogging to catch up to her.

"Belle, you're up." My head snapped up at the mention of my name, drawing me away from the fresh sketches on my sheet music. I stood up and walked to the piano, Mrs. Harrison following after me. "Once again Ms. Molina, this is not art class." I had to restrain from rolling my eyes.

I started in on the piano, nice and slow.

"The story starts here
in a broken home
a mom that doesn't care
a dad that's never home
if I could go back, I'd ask
why I'm not good enough
skip some time
a year or two
thought I was lost
no one could hear
but finally, things fell into place
I found a mom
a father too
a brother who
sticks by my side
my sister, she's my ride or die
if I could
I'd give my life
just to see
that they survive
I owe them my whole life."