19

~Heather's POV~

  I finally let the events of the past hour catch up to me when I was on the plane. I knew that I couldn't look back at Clay when I walked away or else I'd want to stay more than I already did.

  My fingertips brushed against my lips through my mask. I felt like I could still feel the warmth and electricity of Clay's lips on them. I couldn't say that I had expected him to do that, but I was so glad he did.

  It was still shocking to know that he felt the same, to know that all those times that I thought about how hard I had fallen for him, he was thinking the same for me. All those times we cuddled, I might've been able to kiss him. I could've given myself more time to tell him just how much he meant to me if I only said something.

  I leaned back into my seat on the flight, processing all of the times that I should've picked up that he felt the same. My whole time with him was a careful dance of avoiding our feelings for each other that ended with us still falling into them head first.

  All I could think of were his pretty green eyes, his soft blonde waves, and his even softer lips. I wanted so badly to be in his arms again and I'd only been away from him for an hour.

  I had to go back to life back home, but it'd be so weird without Clay in it to randomly pick me up or give me hugs. I had to go back to only cooking for myself, sleeping in my own bed, and using my own shampoo.

I connected to the plane's WiFi and noticed the messages that I had. There was one from Clay.

Clay
Btw I might've put something in your bag
Ik it's dumb

  He had put something in my bag? I unzipped the backpack at my feet and immediately saw what he had put in there. Folded at the top of my backpack sat the gray sweatshirt that he so frequently wore in his house, his favorite. I felt a smile form across my face at such a gesture. He gave me his favorite sweatshirt.

  I opened my phone back up.

Heather
Awh 🥺
I also feel much less dumb that I left something at your house now

Clay
You left something?

Heather
It's dumb, but yeah
It's in the guest bedroom's nightstand drawer

-=-
~Clay's POV~

  I read the text and got up from where I was on my bed to investigate. What could Heather have possibly left? She barely had anything with her.

  I walked over to the guest room and smiled at Patches sleeping on the bed. She was probably happy to have the room back for herself. I walked over to the nightstand and opened the drawer.

I found a small object with a sticky note on top of it. I picked the sticky note up to find that it was attached to a keychain. I recognized it from her backpack. It was a gold keychain with a mansion engraved on it. The words The Breakers were written under it. It was the mansion that Heather had spoken about when I asked her about Rhode Island.

  I picked up the sticky note and read her rushed handwriting.

Oh whoops looks like I forgot something, guess I gotta come back. I don't make the rules.
Btw there is a story behind this keychain that you're now obligated to ask me about next time we're on call because you're too curious for your own good. Now you're obligated to call me. Haha got u

  I snickered as I read the note and looked back at the keychain. She was right. Now that I knew there was one, I needed to hear the story. I closed the drawer and let the keychain dangle from my finger as I walked to my office. She'd come back and get it. She said she would.