25

I stared up at my ceiling and pulled the sleeves down on the familiar gray sweatshirt, sighing. "Clay?"

"Yeah?" He was doing the same thing as me, just laying in bed and staring at his ceiling.

"Less than two months now." I pointed out.

He chuckled. "Yeah. Less than two months."

The thoughts swirling around in my head seemed to create a tornado of sorts that scrambled my brain. "I haven't signed up for MCC 11." I admitted.

"Why not?" He turned to look at me. "I thought you said you did."

"Well, I was going to." I sighed. "But, I feel like I'm cursed."

"You're... cursed?" He questioned.

I nodded. "I know it sounds weird. It's just that the past two MCCs I've been in something horrible happened to one of my teammates. I feel like I just jinx it."

"Well, only good things came from your first MCC." Clay tried to comfort me.

"Yes, but it's not like I'm gonna meet another you." I turned to look at him. "I got one stoke of good luck and I'm beyond grateful for it, but I don't want to try my luck anymore."

"I doubt you're cursed, Heather." He shook his head. "What if I can get you on my team for MCC 11? Then, would you do it?"

I sighed and looked back up at my ceiling. "If I really am cursed to have something horrible happen to my teammate, I don't feel like it's super comforting to have you as one." I chuckled.

"Will you at least think about it?" Clay asked. "You've got two more days until Scott makes the teams."

"Why do you want me to be in it so bad?" I turned so that I was laying on my side, amused by how far he pushed.

He broke his eye contact with the phone. "It's an embarrassing answer." He chuckled to himself.

"I'm not gonna judge." I reassured him.

He still didn't look at the phone. "It's exactly one month from when you fly out and for some reason I have it in my mind that I can't not spend the day with you. You have to be there." He shook his head. "I know it's dumb. It's like my mind is so set on it for no reason at all. It's ridiculous."

I felt my heart beating out of my chest. "Clay, that's not dumb. That's adorable. If it means this much to you, I'll talk to Scott and see what he thinks."

His eyes lit up. "Actually? I'll talk to Scott. Don't you worry. You're not getting another upsetting MCC on my watch."

I chuckled. "Calm down. If it happens, then yay, but don't get yourself too excited. It's not like I have a bad experience with the event itself, it's only that something awful always happens to my team."

He nodded. "I know. Which won't happen. It'll be like MCC 7 again."

I smiled at how determined he was about this. "What, I'm gonna call you a green blob bastard again?"

He laughed. "No. You'll have fun."

"I had fun with Sapnap on my team. That wasn't bad. It's just what happened to Sylvee that I'm so shaken up over." I pointed out.

"Which won't happen." He seemed so genuine about it.

"I don't think you have control over that. Last I checked you don't control the universe." I teased.

"That you know of." He joked.

I laughed and could see him crack a smile. "You're such an idiot."