21

I laid down in my bed and looked at the lights above me. I had taken off Clay's sweatshirt since I was overheating, now just wearing a plain white shirt that I often slept in. The sweatshirt sat in my bed next to the pillow that I hugged at night.

  I turned to my buzzing phone as I sat back up in my bed. I was getting a call from Clay, as expected. I picked up the phone and accepted it, smiling once I saw his sleepy face fill my screen. "Hey."

  "Hey." He turned on his side and kept the phone facing him. Half of his face was hidden in his pillow.

  "Tired?" I questioned.

  He nodded. "That's why I called, but you don't seem that tired."

  I sighed. "No, I'm tired. I'm just awake." I let myself fall back onto my pillow and turned to face the phone in my hand, mirroring Clay's position as I propped the phone up against a pillow. My hands started fidgeting with the fabric in front of me.

  "You're not wearing my sweatshirt anymore." He pointed out, seeming a bit disappointed.

  I nodded. "I got too hot." I pulled the fabric that I had been fidgeting with into frame. "Still have it with me though."

  He smiled a bit. "How'd your stream go today?"

  I frowned. "Joey killed Jelly because he thought she was Jam."

  He snickered. "Did you at least get payback?"

  "She has been avenged." I chuckled. "I killed him and took his stuff."

  "That's my girl." Clay's eyes widened once he realized what he had said. "I'm so sorry. That's not what I meant."

  I felt butterflies in my stomach from the simple phrase. "Don't apologize. It's okay." I hid half of my face in my pillow. "I liked it."

  "You liked it?" He questioned, sounding shocked that I had been so honest about it.

  I nodded, still hiding half of my face. "I liked it."

  A smile played across his lips. "My girl, huh?"

  I clutched his sweatshirt for dear life. I had accidentally instigated our first talk about this since admitting our feelings for each other. I wasn't sure if I was ready to talk about this. The last couple nights since I had been home I had worn his sweatshirt to bed and called him to fall asleep, but we hadn't talked about stuff like this at all.

  I sighed. "Clay, I'm scared."

  The smile dropped from his face and was replaced with concern. "What are you scared of?"

  I looked down at the sweatshirt I was fidgeting with. "Well, there's a lot of things."

  "Can we talk about them?" He questioned.

  I nodded. "Clay, I want to be 'your girl' but I'm afraid we're taking things too fast. I'm afraid that those thousand miles between us are too much. I don't want you to have to wait for me. I'm not worth waiting for."

  He shook his head. "Heather, you're absolutely worth waiting for. We'll slow down if that's what you want to do."

  I closed my eyes. "I don't want to slow down. I want to be yours. I really do. I just-" I sighed. "What if the distance is too much? What if it takes a year for us to see each other again?"

  "Heather, open your eyes." Clay gently requested.

  I opened my eyes and looked at him on the phone.

  "I want to make this work, Heather. If you want to make this work, then we'll make this work." He looked into the phone camera.

  A small smile creeped its way onto my lips. "I want to make this work, Clay."