1

Li Dukedom, Crimson Manor

"And dear brother, they ordered me to fetch water out in the cold night and when I'm at the entrance, they grabbed the bucket and splashed me with water! leaving me cold and shivering while they laugh!" The Lady of the Li Manor. One and only daughter of duke and duchess Li who had long passed and his beloved sister. Mai Xie Li was a spitting image of him. Despite not being born as twins their similarities could be seen as uncanny.

The lady cried pitifully in her brother's arms and Jin could do nothing but caress her back. Her beautiful face was smeared from all the tears that escaped her eyes, she was explaining the unsightly treatment she went through amongst her fellow concubines and ladies despite being of higher rank in the harem.

After the death of their parents, to maintain their title and land. Jin reluctantly accepted the offer from the imperial palace, stating that her sister be involved amongst the wife selection for the fourth prince's coming of age. He was not happy of the news as the mourning period for both their parent's death had not even reached a month yet saying no to the imperial decree is an act almost equal to treason. With a lot of hesitance coming from him, his younger sister who could see the bigger picture better accepted before he could make a decision.

It had caused him great pain. The imperial palace and his family had a long history of feud in the court. The previous emperor and empresses(before the current one in our story) ruled the kingdom unfairly and it sparked many controversy amongst the people in the court which consist mostly of the Li family and close connections.

After Mai departed, he recieved news that his sister was chosen as the third wife, a concubine and their house recieved great amounts of gifts and an increase in salary, all of which he could not even appreciate as he had hoped his sister would not be chosen and sent home. Worse comes to worse, not even a year after her sister entered in the imperial harem did the previous emperor died and the fourth prince ascended to the throne. The ascension also affected them as her sister was promoted and became a Noble Consort, giving him an even harder time as her sister's visits became less and rare to come by.

"Stop crying now Xie Xie, your big brother will think of a plan to stop them!" He stated, voice filled with utter concern and a hidden sadness as he wiped the tears streaming down her sister's soft pale cheeks. After the prince's ascension, the imperial harem grew bigger. As per tradition it should have atleast a dozen of woman, excluding the empress who the emperor married out of the empress dowager's arrangements, something along the lines of keeping the bloodline pure.

Even though her make up was smeared with tears, she was still so lovely in his eyes and the sudden thought of those ignorant women harassing his beloved sister was making his blood boil with rage.

'How dare that man allow such hostility in his harem!' Jin thought spitefully, anger clearly written all over his face.

Her sister stared at him confused and concerned, reaching out to grasp his hands in hers.

"Don't be mad on my behalf, it cannot be helped...I know many woman in the imperial palace constantly fight to have a higher seat in the harem as the empress seat is most impossible to have..it is unavoidable" the young lady tried to reassure him but he was not satisfied.

Yes, what she said was correct and true but order should still be placed and despite not being the main wife her sister still seats second to the empress as there are currently no imperial noble consort present after the death of the last one which he suspects to be done by those in the harem with ulterior motives.

"I'm taking your place!" he suddenly exclaimed, making the lady flinch in surprise as he slowly stood up and directly went to her room, her sister following after in slight confusion.

Mai stared at her brother in complete horror, she watched him put on her clothes, adorn his hair with beautiful pins and apply make up on his face.

"Brother have you lost your mind!?" She exclaimed incredulously, watching him turn to face her but deep inside Jin knew the face she saw was a replica of her own with the way his sister's eyes widened like flying saucers.

"B-brother?" She gasped, staring at his face.

He couldn't help the smirked that made it's way unto his face while he stuffed his chest with cloth to make it look like a pair of large breasts.

"Isn't this great Xie Xie? I heard lots of folks whispering how much our face look exactly the same and now I have no doubts they're telling the truth!"

"B-but brother what if-" He cut off her sister by placing a finger on her soft lips gently.

"Hush now Xie Xie, your suffering will no longer continue for you shall stay here at home and I'll take your place at the Royal Palace" He put his arms in his hips, attempting a girlish pose and failing miserable, making his sister choke a laugh that made him smile.

'Atleast she's happy'

"Today, I will go back to the palace as you and you will stay here at the manor enjoying the comfort of our home!" He declared proudly, stomping in a determined way towards his quarters to pack up some of her sister's clothes, he was uncomfortable but he's ready to sacrifice anything just to see his beloved sister smile.

"I'm so smart, I'm sure Xie Xie is proud to have such brother as me" He chuckled, packing his baggage faster as he started to imagine how much his sister loved him.

Meanwhile....

"My Lady, your brother was very worried, I don't think this is a good idea" a servant stated, watching the supposed elegant Noble Consort and Lady of the Manor eat meat like a pig.

"Oh come on now, I hate that place, they have strict rules, all I can eat are leaves! And those stupid concoction to induce pregnancy chances taste like crap" Mai stated, stuffing her mouth with pork. The servant was taken aback by the way the lady spoke and looked upstairs with sadness hinting in her eyes as she heared the Master of the house's cheerful humming while he packed the rest of the lady's luggage.

"Well, I hope your brother won't find out about this My Lady" the servant stated worriedly. Mai just waved her hand to dismiss the servant as she continued to stuff food to her mouth like a starved shark.

'Oh sweet brother of mine, I'm not being mistreated in the Royal palace, they're such good people but I can't eat meat or even fathom to bare a child for that insignificant emperor. Sorry if I tricked you but you're such an airhead sometimes, I hope you enjoy your time in the palace' Mai smiled at the satirical explanation she had came up with on her head if her brother ever found out.