8

Butterfly Pavilion

The two stared intensely at each other's eyes, not one daring to blink. It was a silent battle of intimidation and Jin was not in any mood to lose. This unknown woman just barged in his manor, acted all rude like she owned the place, masking the warm and peacefulness of the place with her brewing rage as time passes by and the aura the woman was exuding was making Jin's temper a ticking time bomb. Anytime now he might explode and the tension in the air was so thick and intense, the servants could only watch , holding their breaths.

"Pardon me Lady but aren't you too old to be making such insults" Jin finally broke the silence with a sarcastic remark without breaking eye contact with the woman. Jin watched as the woman's smirk twitched, like she was debating whether to hit him and for some reason Jin wanted it to happen, then he would get an excuse to use self defense. Though what Jin said must've hit a nerve because one second later the woman was on her feet, slamming her hands on the table, causing the servants who had gathered on the door scramble in fear. Not Jin though, he didn't even flinch.

"How dare you disrespect me!?" The woman suddenly shrieked in hysteria, catching Jin off guard.

Jin was now on his feet, this time it was the woman who was caught off guard as suddenly Jin was so much taller and looking down at her.

"Disrespect you? You're the one who came here unannounced, criticizing my garden and insulting my sis-S..self! Shame on you, Lady"

Shoot, that was a close call. Jin thought as he was about to blow his cover because of his profound anger.

The woman's face became red with rage and before Jin could react or even blink, a hand had slapped his face so rough his head snapped to the side. The gesture had earned a collective gasps from the nearby servants who wanted to step in but too afraid to do so.

"I am the Empress Dowager! I am the Queen of this palace! Know your place , you mere woman!" The woman, now known as the empress dowager exclaimed in anger.

Well is it my fault for not knowing? Jin thought grimly, remembering how the servant earlier was so skittish and felt like she wanted to say more about their 'guest'.

Jin couldn't speak, not for a while as his cheek was starting to form a red angry handprint that he knows would soon bruise. To make matters worse he could also taste blood inside his mouth. If Jin said it didn't hurt, he would be telling the truth but now it was stinging like hell.

"You are nothing but a lady born from some noble family while I am the ruler of this place! I am a part of the royal bloodline and I will not let such a lower creature think they're higher than me!" The empress dowager continued with her rude remarks and Jin could only grit his teeth as he cannot raise his hand on the empress dowager. Jin disliked the royal family for a couple of reasons and one of those reasons are clearly showing right now. If his sister, Mai , was here, she would've been a sobbing mess. It was a good thing Jin was there instead.

"Are you done?" Jin asked boredly after recovering from the shock of the slap he recieved. The empress dowager's face flared in anger.

"Why you-!"

When Jin thought the empress dowager was gonna explode and he'd receive another slap, here comes his mortal enemy in shining silk robes coming to his rescue.

Could've come sooner.

"Mother that's enough!" The emperor's voice echoed and vibrated around the manor, it was deep and menacing, a tone had never heard the emperor use before that it almost made Jin feel shivers running down his spine. Wait what was he thinking.

"Xian! My son! Tell this disrespectful woman to know her place-"

"Well I wasn't the one who barged into someone's house and started creating chaos" Jin pointed out, cutting the empress dowager off mid speech. Honestly Jin starting to think his brain was slightly damaged from that slap cause even in such situation he still found a chance to piss someone off.

"Keep your mouth shut you lowly-Ahh! Xian let go of me!" Jin watched in surprise and amusement as the emperor grabbed his own Mother rudely, completely dragging her out of the manor in a not so gentle way.

Jin touched his cheek and winced at the stabbing pain, he was certain it was bruised.

Great....not.

Sighing deeply, Jin sat down, pinching the bridge of his nose as he tried to forget what exactly just happened to avoid the headache forming in the back of his head. The servants scrambled and started cleaning the mess on the floor while Jin went to his room to tend his bruised cheek.

There was a red handprint turning almost purplish which hurt like hell. Talk about a bad day. Jin couldn't help but sigh.

"Atleast it wasn't Xie Xie who got hurt" Jin reassured himself, grabbing a cold cloth the servant gave earlier and pressing it against his cheek.

A gentle knock came upon the door, getting Jin's attention.

"Can you please get me something colder than this cloth" Jin ordered, thinking a servant was on the other side of the door.

"My love it's me" a deep worried voice answered.

Oh great, go away please.

"Come in"

The door opened revealing the emperor standing there in all his glory but when he saw the bruise forming on Jin's cheek the emperor's composure broke as he instantly kneeled down in between Jin's parted legs, putting his hand on top of Jin's as he check for further wounds or bruises.

Too close.

Jin leaned back a little when he noticed that he could feel the emperor's warm breath fanning his neck, however Jin's actions just made the emperor get even closer to Jin's face.

"Does it hurt?" The emperor asked, his voice cracking like he was...angry?

"N-not that much" Jin stuttered, cursing under his breath for that stupid stutter.

"Are you sure?" The emperor gazed deeply into Jin's eyes and suddenly Jin's breath was caught up in his throat. Those mesmerizing silver eyes that bore intensely into his, such intense stare made Jin feel lightheaded, his cheeks tinting a shade of pink.

The emperor's face had gotten closer, their noses were touching, the emperor's breath was fanning Jin's face and he smelled sweet for some reason. It was hot, Jin's body was feeling hot.

This is dangerous.

"Xian you're too close..." Jin found himself whispering the emperor's name. He had always known the emperor's first name through all the public announcements but it was Jin's first time mentioning it. It had caught the emperor's attention and something within the emperor sprang to life.

Jin shuddered as the emperor's lips brushed against his ever so lightly, their faces so close Jin could even smell the sweet and minty scent of the emperor's breath.

It was dangerous, very dangerous. If things escalate Jin's cover would be blown. But why wasn't he feeling disgusted. What happened to those repulsed tremors that would run up and down his spine whenever the emperor was near. Ontop of that, since when had Jin desired a man. Maybe it was because the emperor was attractive. Jin doesn't know anymore but all he knew was, he needed to stop it before it escalates into something he'll regret.

Jin really needed to. The emperor was so close, so so close any second now their lips would've collide.