12

Gates of Forbidden City

They say blood is thicker than water. That family always got your back through thick and thin. Those teachings were instilled in Jin's mind by his mother since he was young. Family always comes first amongst everything else.

Jin remembered the time he ever held his littles sister's hands when she was still a baby. The way his mother instructed him that if ever they were gone his sister has no one to rely on but him. His childish mind could not comprehend the depth of his mother's words. What she meant when she said if ever they were gone but the sense of responsibility definitely stayed with him as he grew.

So no amount of words could explain the surge of emotions Jin was feeling as of the moment when his eyes skimmed through each strokes of words his beloved sister had written.

"It can't be...Xie Xie would never do this" Jin murmured, voice so low it was almost inaudible as he read everything once again.

Dear Brother.
I'm terribly sorry for the lie I came up with, you know full well how much I like meat and everything I'm consuming there are a bunch of leaves. I know you won't be treated unfairly on the palace so I didn't have any regrets doing this, do know that I worry about you everyday.

Sincerely yours
-Mai Xie Li

Jin closed the scroll and found himself walking back to the Butterfly Pavilion with the emperor tailing behind him with a two steps distance. Jin couldn't believe it. He doesn't want to believe it. Just for meat and he was thrown into a mess. His sister could've just asked him, it was simple as that, even if he was caught sneaking in meat the punishment would be light but this. The things he did. It could have his head on the chopping block. Jin couldn't fathom it that his head began to ache.

Tears burned the back Jin's eyes as he entered the Manor, the servants greeted him but he ignored them and went straight inside his chamber, slamming the door shut.

He let the tears fall of his eyes. It was like raindrops that continued to fall. He was hurt, extremely hurt. Jin promised himself he would forgive and accept it, for he's ready to face anything for his sister but why couldn't he face this. What was making it so difficult to just laugh about the ridiculous situation.

All the humiliation Jin had been through. Everything that he would have endured for her sake. It was all for nothing.

Amidst his pathetic attempts to cry in silence, he heard the door open and close and a sob left his lips.

"Are you alright?" Jin heard the emperor's voice ask, worry etch in his tone. Somehow it infuriated him.

"I'm soo fine" Jin answered sarcastically. The emperor heaved a sigh and began approaching the sobbing man but Jin put his hands up and glared.

"Leave" Jin ordered, his voice cracking with emotions that was about to burst.

Jin doesn't want the emperor to see him in such a state. Infact he doesn't want anyone to see him cry. It had been a very long time since he let himself cry. It had been so long he forgot when was the last time and because of that something came in his mind.

"You might be a noble but we are still Royalty, stop thinking you're the same as us, you're not even near are rank"

Jin doesn't know why that was the memory he remembered. Maybe because his mind wants to remind him that he and the emperor are not friends. That the emperor was one of the reasons he would cry in secret as a child.

Royalty my ass, you're all still human beings just like everyone, you just happened to have riches and power.

The emperor was stubborn and didn't leave the room. He stood there a meter away from Jin, staring at him with worry.