7

Inner Palace Walls

Emperor Xian Khang

Earlier that morning, before the sun had even rise, the empress dowager called Xian to discuss something important. It was quite a surprise considering that the two barely talks nor see each other, why would the empress dowager suddenly wanted to talk. Xian was concerned. The relationship between him and the empress dowager was as fragile as glass, specially after he had strongly showed his disapproval of his marriage towards his older sister. It had been a royal tradition in their line to marry that of the same blood, it was the ancestors that came up with the idea's way to keep the bloodline pure. The Khang family was a strong bloodline of warriors, they had ruled as emperors and empresses for tens of generations. Even with the westerners settling in nearby lands, their influence gradually changing the lives and practices of their people , their tradition still stood strong. Way too strong it annoyed Xian to no end.

On the other hand Xian knows his sister doesn't have any strong opinions on the matter regarding their marriage, but somewhere deep down in his heart, he could tell if she was confident enough to rebel from traditions, she too would have shared his ideas openly.

Xian finally arrived at the throne room where the empress dowager was seated in a large throne made entirely of gold. The empress dowager wore a fiery red and gold skintight gown that hugs every curves and crevices of her whistle bait body. The empress dowager was a beautiful woman in her late 40's yet all that beauty in the surface will be for nothing once one has seen what kind of twisted person the empress dowager really is under that mask.

For one, the empress dowager still holds power inside the royal harem and even in the court. She ruled with an iron fist, she would crush anyone who would go against her own beliefs and the way she wants things to be. Xian believed she was self centered and has no ounce of kindness or empathy in her. The only time Xian was able to get back at her for making him suffer through the years of his childhood is when he chose the only daughter of the Li Dukedom as a candidate for marriage.

The Li Dukedom clan has a long history of being tied to the inner court of the royal palace. The Li family has a strong line of sons for generations that most of them became scholars and earned a place in the court. The Li family and the empress dowager's clan had long been in feud with one another. As the Li family supports equality, fairness, and being just, whilst the empress dowager's clan wanted power over everything.

During his father's reign, the empress dowager slowly got rid of each Li clan that was inside the court, one by one they all got eliminated by her. She would start scandals, spread rumors, or downright send people to assassinate unguarded members. Due to Xian's father being blinded by his love, the empress dowager got away with all her crimes and now that his father was and he took the throne, it was his time to put things right.

Xian would admit that due to the influence of his mother, he grew up spoiled and selfish. His view of the world wasn't innocent and bright like how any children should be, and he regretted those days. Now that he was King, he will slowly, but surely fix all those mistakes and he definitely started by bringing the only remaining Li clan back inside the inner palace. Now, if only he could get the last son and current head to enter the inner court.

As Xian made his entrance, his presence was instantly sensed by the empress dowager who moved her gaze towards Xian, a sweet smile plastering onto her always scowling face. The empress dowager hurriedly got down from her thrown, her long flowing gown following her every step behind her back. Xian stepped back on instinct when the empress dowager suddenly invaded his personal space, though his attempt was futile since the empress dowager continued surging forward, once again invading my personal space just so she could wrap her arms tightly around Xian, cupping his face and placing soft gentle kisses on both of his cheeks. The unfamiliar sweet and fake gestures was making Xian shiver in disgust, which made him grimace inwardly before she pulled away, taking a few steps away from him as a sigh of relief left Xian's lips quietly.