Chapter 16: Departure

I walk beside Aragorn and Legolas, the crowd around us silent as we find places to stand. The funeral is outside, and although is is warm, the air is chilly. I am not cold- at least not from the wind.

I hate Orcs.

They killed Théodred, from what I heard. Orcs also killed my father. Orcs are the evil in this world, the reason for fear and panic, sadness and grief. The crowd parts, Théodred's body carried past. Théoden follows his son, then Gandalf, and the Fellowship last. I walk at the end of the line, next to Gimli. As I pass Éowyn, she begins to sing in Rohirric.

"Bealocwealm hafað fréone frecan forth onsended (An evil death has set forth the noble warrior)

Giedd sculon singan gléomenn sorgiende on Meduselde (A song shall sing the sorrowing minstrels of mead-halls)

Thæt he ma no wære, his dryhtne dyrest (That he is no more, to his Lord dearest)

And maga deorost Bealo (And kinsman beloved, death took him...)"

The tomb is sealed, and people begin to leave. The Fellowship walks in silence to the Hall of Medseld, into the city once more. I sit at one of the long, wooden tables beside Aragorn, Legolas standing behind us. I beckon for him to sit next to me, but he shakes his head. I turn back to the table to see a bowl of soup placed in front of me, and pick up the spoon. I twirl the utensil in my hand, not really hungry, until Aragorn glances pointedly at me and I take a sip of the warm soup. When I'm about halfway done, the doors open loudly, Gandalf and Théoden walking in. They both carry a child each- a male and a female- and set them down at the table. The little girl looks frightened, and the boy is unconscious. I cast a questioning look at Gandalf.

"They appeared on a horse, the boy was unconscious." Gandalf sighs as Aragorn tries to awake the boy in Théoden's arms. After a few moments his eyes flutter open, but he looks like he is about to fall asleep again.

"They need food." Aragorn mutters as the boy settles onto the seat next to his sister, and almost immediatley, soup is placed in front of them. They eat quickly, and the men begin to talk. I finish my soup slowly, zoned out and staring at a knot in the wooden table.

"Where is momma?" The little girl cries suddenly, and I look at her in sympathy.

"Shh." Éowyn murmurs to the child, wrapping a blanket over her small shoulders. The girl looks up at her in thanks, but also confusion. I place my spoon inside of the empty bowl, and a servant comes and takes it. I thank him and he nods. I listen to the conversation that Gandalf, Aragorn and Théoden are having.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash." Gandalf says darkly. "All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight!"

Théoden looks hesitant, unwilling to do what Gandalf advises.

"You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Eómer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king." Aragorn says, glancing up.

"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now. Éomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war." Théoden mutters.

"Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not." Aragorn points out.

"When I last looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." Théoden growls, and I glance around the room to see everybody's reaction. Gandalf steps in.

"Then what is the king's decision?"

* * *

"By order of the king, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures; take only what provisions you need." Hama, the guard, calls out to the townsfolk. The people begin to load carts full of their things, and I follow Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Gandalf down the steps to the stables, where Numen, Shadowfax, Arod and Hasufel are kept.