Chapter 25: The Living Dead

"What kind of army would linger in such a place?" After minutes of riding down the spooky path, Gimli finally speaks. Our horses are nervous and they walk with uncertainty- and we gaze down the shadowy path, my shoulders tense.

"One that is cursed." Legolas murmurs, answering Gimli's question. I tilt my head and glance at the elf. "Long ago, the Men of the Mountain swore an oath to the last king of Gondor, to come to his aid, to fight. But when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled, vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so, Isildur cursed them, never to rest, until they had fulfilled their pledge. Who shall call them from the grey twilight, the forgotten people? The heir of him to whom the oath they swore. From the North shall he come, need shall drive him. He shall pass the door to the Pass of the Dead. "

I glance ahead at Aragorn, who rides in front of us.

"So only you can release them from their hold, Aragorn." I say, more as a question than a statement.

He is silent- either he heard me and chooses not to answer, or he wasn't paying attention. I sigh quietly, and continue down the path is silence. The sound of hooves on the stone ground echoes around us, creating an eerie atmosphere. Numen seems more spooked than he ever has been- he keeps snorting and tossing his head, urging me to turn back and find the others.

We cannot turn back now. It is too late for that.

"The very warmth of my blood seems stolen away." Gimli mutters, and I shiver in agreement. We approach a doorway, carved into stone, with letters along the top and skulls in the sides. Human skulls. I shiver again and take a deep breath.

"The way is shut." Legolas says, reading the inscription along the top of the doorway. "It was made by those who are dead... and the dead keep it. The way is shut."

Cold wind suddenly blows through the area, startling the horses. Numen spooks and gallops back down the path.

"Brego!" Aragorn yells as the chestnut horse follows Numen, Arod right behind. I sigh, but I know that the horses won't go too far.

"They'll be back." I murmur, watching them turn the corner and disappear from our sight. Aragorn stares down into the darkness.

"I do not fear death." Aragorn growls, walking through the doorway and into the darkness. Legolas follows him immediately, but Gimli and I linger. I still despise underground places, especially since my capture when I was little. I was taken deep into the Misty Mountains and kept prisoner by the Goblin King. Who knows what's in store for me here...

"Well, this is a thing unheard of. An elf will go underground, where a dwarf dare not. Oh, I'd never hear the end of it." Gimli grumbles from beside me. We exchange a glance and we walk through the doorway.

My eyes adjust rather quickly to the darkness, and I see the walls on either side of Gimli and I. Aragorn walks in front of us, and Legolas too. I glance down at Gimli before a bright light startles me. Aragorn lights a torch and continues walking, and we follow slowly. I walk faster to catch up to Legolas, leaving Gimli a few paces behind, and he holds my hand.

"How long have they lingered in this shadow?" I whisper to Legolas.

"Many, many years." He responds softly, and I shudder. I want to turn back right now. What made me want to come? If they attack us, I cannot fight back. We would be instantly dead. I bite my lip nervously, and Legolas' grip on my hand tightens protectively.

Aragorn sweeps the torch downwards, illuminating the ground. It is scattered with skeletons.

I let out a strangled cry as I see their empty sockets, and Legolas pulls me into his arms. I don't know if I can do this. I am weak- I will only hold them back from their task.