Chapter 11: The Great River

My eyes open, blinking in soft sunlight dappled through strands of light blond hair. I move to swipe it away, but my arms are pinned to my side. I glance downwards to see Legolas, his head buried in my hair. His blond locks tangled in my gold. I smirk slightly and try to wriggle out of his tight grasp, but his arms are locked around my waist as if I was his lifeline. I shake my head.

"Legolas," I whisper, "Legolas!"

His blue eyes flutter open and he looks at me expectantly.

"Yes?"

I gesture at our position, eyebrows raised, and he blushes, pulling away from me.

"Sorry..." He apologizes, the tips of his ears tinged pink.

"It's okay." I respond with a slight smile, just hoping that nobody saw us.
How did we end up in that position, anyways? I start packing up, pondering different reasons for waking up like that. I end up with either Legolas did it before he fell asleep, we moved in our sleep or someone like Merry and Pippin did it as a prank. I decide to ask the hobbits at some point. One by one, the rest of my companions wake up, and we pack up our things. Aragorn tells me about how Legolas refused to leave my side when I was injured, and carried me all the way to the top of the stairs. They also encountered Lady Galadrieland her husband Celeborn, and he explained that we were to leave this morning. I finish packing up my stuff and grab my daggers, sliding them into their sheaths.

"Legolas?" I walk over to the elf, packing his own bedroll up. He looks up and smiles. "Thank you for carrying me last night... I really appreciate it."

He stands up and I hug him, and he hugs me back.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay." He whispers. "It looked pretty bad.." He trails off, obviously thinking about my injury.

"At least it wasn't poisoned." I point out, and Legolas chuckles. He picks up his pack and slings his quiver over his shoulder.

"Come on, we are to row down the Great River in row boats. Lady Galadriel is waiting for us."

I walk with Legolas and the Fellowship to the water, where three boats bob on the surface. The water is crystalline, and the sun reflects off its glittering depths. Looking around in awe, I follow Legolas into a line where Lady Galadriel stands opposite of us. She has long, golden locks and blue eyes, pale skin and is wearing all white, long robes. She looks stunning, and I am honored to be in her presence. My father used to tell me tales of the Lady, and described her beauty, but no words could have described her. The Fellowship stands in a line, and Galadriel holds a gorgeous longbow. Now, I don't usually say bows could be beautiful, but this one is. It is pale with intricate patterns carved into it, and is almost as tall as Gimli himself. She approaches Legolas, and holds out the bow.

"My gift for you, Legolas, is a bow of the Galadhrim, worthy of the skill of our woodland kin."

Her voice is soft and graceful- if a voice could be said as graceful. She speaks lower than most female elves I have spoken with, but her words are clear and easy to hear. Legolas takes the bow and pulls back the bowstring, obviously very excited. He smiles and looks at the Lady in appreciation, who nods her head and turns to me.

"And for you, Vivienne, I give to you two twin swords, sharper than glass. The blade is made of Mithril." My eyes widen. "These are to be given to people with high skill, and now I give them to you." She hands me two sheathed swords, and I unsheathe them slowly, awed at their beauty. "May they serve you in battle."

(photo of her swords are on the side)

I remove my old daggers and put my new ones in their place. They are longer and bigger, but feel lighter. I smile and bow at Galadriel, who turns to Merry and Pippin. She holds out two small daggers, one for each of them, and the hobbits take them nervously.