Chapter 19: Battle of Hornburg- Part Two

The three of us fight hard, but within a few moments, the soldiers start to block off the gate with wooden planks. I spot Théoden's face through one of the holes.

"Théoden!" I yell, elbowing a Uruk off the platform to it's death. Théoden glances at me.

"Get out of there!" He shouts back, and I stare at him in confusion before the hole is blocked off and his face disappears. I turn away, shaking my head, and continue to fight. Gimli swings his axe around wildly, tiring quickly, and Aragorn uses his sword with skill, killing a Uruk every few seconds. I behead a Uruk and watch in satisfaction as it's body falls off the edge of the platform.

"Aragorn! Vivienne!" I hear someone call from above. I glance upwards quickly to see Legolas on the wall above us, holding out a rope. Thowing it down, he holds it steady as I grab on and climb up a meter or so. Aragorn holds onto the rope beneath me and grabs Gimli, and Legolas starts pulling us up. He struggles slightly, but we move upwards at a steady pace. In a few moments, Legolas manages to pull the three of us up onto the wall. I grab onto the stone ledge and heave myself up before reaching out to help Aragorn and Gimli. Grabbing Gimli from Aragorn, I pull him up and over the ledge. Men around us shout loudly.

"Fall back! Fall back! They have broken through. The castle is breached!" Someone wails. "Retreat, retreat!"

Legolas grabs my hand quickly and we run to the keep, Gimli and Aragorn close behind.

"Hurry! Inside. Get them inside!" Aragorn shouts, ushering the last few men inside. Once we are all inside, he rushes to reinforce the doors.

"The fortress is taken. It is over." Théoden says from a few paces away, sounding defeated. He cannot give up now! I release Legolas' hand and walk over to him.

"It is not over!" I scowl at him, opening my mouth to say more, but Legolas places his hand on my arm, pulling me back. I wince at the movement, my wound throbbing in protest. Legolas looks at me in worry and glances at my arm. He see's the blood soaked fabric I clumsily binded my arm with and sighs.

"You said this fortress would never fall while your men defend it. They still defend it. They have died defending it!" Aragorn yells, approaching quickly. I watch them speak as Legolas rebinds my arm, way better than I did before. "Is there no other way for the women and children to get out of the caves?" Aragorn asks. Théoden is silent. "Is there no other way?" He repeats.

"There is one passage." Gamling, a guard, speaks for his silent king. "It leads into the mountains. But they will not get far- the Uruk-Hai are too many."

"Send word for the women and children to make for the mountain pass. And barricade the entrance!" Aragorn orders.

Legolas stands quietly beside me, the two of us unsure of what to do.

"So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?" Théoden murmurs.

"Ride out with me. Ride out and meet them." Aragorn responds.

"For death and glory?"

"For Rohan. For your people."

"The sun is rising." Gimli suddenly says from a window, and I glance outside. I didn't notice that so much time had passed while we were fighting.

"Yes. Yes! The Horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the Deep one last time." Théoden declares.

"Yes!" Gimli rushes away to sound the horn. I smile after him, thinking about the courage that the Rohirrim have.

"Let this be the hour when we draw swords together." Théoden turns to Aragorn. "Fell deeds awake. now for wrath. Now for ruin. And the red dawn!"

A loud, low noise echoes through Helm's Deep as Gimli blows the horn. Legolas turns to me.