Chapter 29: The End

The two armies collide with yells and clashes of metal on metal. My swords are soon covered with dark blood as I run down orcs with the mithril blades like air, slashing through armor and flesh. I see nothing but the ugly faces of our enemy, I smell nothing but the foul scent of blood and I hear nothing but the screams and snarls of war. My mind focuses solely on my task at hand, hardwired on mode survival. I don't stop to wonder about anything else like Legolas, Frodo and Sam- I just fight. I kill.

* * *

Her hair is tied back but the wind blows pieces of it away and into her perfect face. The Elf is captivated, thinking how she looks beautiful, even when fighting. He may have doubted her in the beginning in her choice to journey with the Fellowship, but now he realizes she's needed. Not just by him, but by Middle Earth. She kills orc after orc in a whirlwind of hair and mithril blades, Legolas' blue eyes shining with adoration as she scrunches up her nose. He can't believe that, at one point, he didn't want her to come because he thought she'd get hurt... But now he see's that she can take care of herself.

She's proved herself time and time again, back when they were children, when she visited Mirkwood, and on this mission.

Legolas decapitates an orc, flipping his blades expertly in his hands to stab one behind him. His mind goes fuzzy as he gets into the routine of killing, something the prince would rather not be used to but has to in order to survive. He has to, to protect Middle Earth, to protect Mirkwood. To protect his home and everything he cares for.

Do I care for Vivienne? Legolas asks to himself while turning to slash at an approaching orc. His thoughts reflect in his expression. Not just as a friend... his mind wanders back to the three times they have kissed- Helm's Deep, the Black Ships, and just now. No friend kisses their friend on a regular basis, he thinks. Yes, he decides.

I love her.

His eyes flit back to the girl whom he loves and the Mirkwood elf gets caught up in the way she moves, and the way her eyes glint with anticipation when she sees another orc approaching.

I love Vivienne.

* * *

I keep noticing Legolas staring at me amidst the battle. It's slightly distracting, but I try not to get sidetracked too much. The wind is chilly and blows my hair about, annoying me mildly. I had tried to braid it back, but the layered pieces kept escaping. I blink as a strand of auburn hair falls into my eye. Vanya had ran away from the rest of the horses a while ago, and is nearby. She rears and kicks at orcs, reducing the number of orcs slightly.

Heads from our army turn upwards as I hear a loud screech overhead. I look up in confusion to see the Nazgûl descending upon us. The Fellbeasts fly close to the ground, swiping at men and sending them flying in multiple directions. One Nazgul nears me, but veers the other way. It swoops down and I cry out when I realize that Vanya is there, but the Fellbeast picks up the poor pony and multiple men before flinging them to the side.

"No..." I whisper hoarsely, my heart in my throat. I turn away sadly to continue fighting, trying not to think about the little horse that I rode on the way here.

Gandalf is beside me, and he fights with a vigor I never expected an old wizard to have. Legolas and Gimli are nearby, but I only see them when the orcs part slightly- otherwise they block them from my sight.

I glance back up to the sky, and my eyes widen when I see a Nazgûl flying straight in our direction. Slicing the neck of an orc, I turn to face the wizard. He watches a moth fly past his head.