Chapter 10: Lothlórien

EDITED 24/07/16

"No!"

Frodo screams, thrashing against Boromir's arms. I scream the wizards name and push Aragorn away violently from where he stands in front of me, in the process hitting my head on the floor quite hard. I shake it off and lean over the side of the bridge to see nothing but flame. I feel numb; my side, my mind, my senses. A tear slips down my face and more arrows rain down around us, the sound of them hitting the floor dull and quiet. The ranger pulls me to my feet and I run, not feeling pain. Not feeling anything.

We run out of the mines and into sunlight, where I collapse on the stone. I stare at nothing, trying to calm my breathing down. I gulp back the tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

Pippin lies on the ground, head on Merry's lap, sobbing. He looks so upset, and Merry stares into the sky. His gaze is empty.

I take a deep breath. Inhale, exhale. Is Gandalf dead? He fell, of course he is. My mind argues with itself. But what happens when you die? The other side of my mind stays quiet, unsure of the answer. What does happen when you die?

I have not experienced a lot of death in my life, the only person being my father. But that seemed hundreds of years ago; when I was a mere child. I look up at Legolas, who stands a few paces away from me, silent. He looks a bit confused as well. Both our heads turn as we hear Aragorn's voice.

"Legolas, get them up."

"Give them a moment for pity's sake!" Boromir snaps at him.

"By nightfall these hills will be swarming with orcs. We must reach the woods of Lothlórien. Come, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, get them up!" Aragorn says, and Legolas silently walks over to me and crouches.

"Are you okay?" He asks softly, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I sniff, "I just need to wrap my leg... and get the stupid arrow out."

"Let me see?" I nod in agreement, pulling my pant leg up and revealing my wound. Legolas places a careful hand on my leg and deftly pulls out the arrow, making me curse in pain. "Sorry." I shake my head, eyes shut tight.

"It's fine..."

He helps me bind my leg quickly as Boromir and Aragorn get the hobbits up, and then we set off to Lothlórien.

* * *

"Stay close, young hobbits. They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods- an elf-witch of terrible power." I frown slightly, recognizing the elf as raw Lady Galadriel. Aragorn has travelled through these woods before and has told me his stories back in Rivendell. "All those who look upon her fall under here spell... And are never seen again."

"Mister Frodo?" Sam worries for his friend, who seems distracted. I glance at him in concern.

"Well, here's one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily!" Gimli booms, voice echoing off the trees and seeming ten times louder than it should. "I have the eyes of a hawk, and the ears of a fox!"

"And the mouth of a-"

An arrow is pointed at my forehead, tips inches away from my skin. I snap my mouth shut, and try not to flinch I flit my eyes around my surroundings- light haired elves, all threatening our small group with their weapons.

"The dwarf breaths so loud, we could have shot him in the dark." The leader mutters, taking a slight step forwards. He exchanges a few words with a few members of our company, then turns to the rest of us.

"Come. She is waiting."

He then leads the Fellowship through the forest, as the sun begins to set. Soon, all we can see is the slight glimmer of sunlight peeking through the lower treetops and glistening on fallen leaves.