Chapter 22: The Palantír

I adjust my fresh cloak around my neck and stand against the wall in the Golden Hall of Meduseld. It is evening, and the survivors of the battle crowd in the hall, celebrating. I observe from the sidelines, not really wanting to interact with people. I quietly sip my ale; it's been a long day. Everybody quiets down, conversations fading to silence as Théoden accepts a goblet from Éowyn and holds it up.

"Tonight, we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country." Théoden announces. "Hail the victorious dead."

"Hail!" Everybody calls back. I repeat after them and take a drink from my half empty cup. People continue celebrating, but I stay off to the side. Legolas, Gimli and Éomer stand by a table loaded with mugs full to the brim with ale. Éomer explains the game to them, and I shake my head with a small smile. I turn my head away from them and see Aragorn leaning against a pillar across from me, Éowyn offering him a goblet. She says something to him and he drinks the contents before smiling and walking away. Éowyn watches him leave.

"I am very happy for you. He is an honourable man." Théoden says, walking up behind his niece.

"You are both honourable men." Éowyn replies.

"It was not Théoden of Rohan who led our people to victory." Théoden sighs and shakes his head a little. "Ah, don't listen to me. You are young, and tonight is for you."

I suddenly hear a rather loud burp and watch as Gimli chugs down another mug of ale.

"Rargh... It's the dwarves that go swimmng.... With little hairy women..!!" He says loudly, laughing. In front of the dwarf there lies a heaping pile of empty tankards. I smirk.

"I feel something." Legolas mutters, looking intently at his hand. I raise my eyebrows. Oh really, now? "A slight tingle in my fingers... I-I think it's affecting me."

"What did I say?" Gimli bellows. "He can't hold his liquor..." His eyes cross slightly and he passes out, toppling backwards from his stool.

"Game over." Legolas states, looking up from where he previously stared at Gimli.

I roll my eyes in amusement before walking away to find Aragorn. On the way, I pass by Merry and Pippin, who are dancing on a wooden table, singing loudly. I've really missed their cheerful attitudes and amusing antics. I stop walking and watch them, standing a meter or two away from the table.

"Oh, you can search far and wide,

You can drink the whole town dry,

But you'll never find a beer so brown,

As the one we drink in our hometown.

You can drink your fancy ales,

You can drink them by the flagon,

But the only brew for the brave and true..."

The song slows for a minute as Pippin becomes distracted, staring intently at Gandalf. I continue to watch, slightly concerned. I frown.

"Pippin!" Merry whispers, urging him to finish the song.

"But the only brew for the brave and true..." They repeat in unison, Pippin snapped out of his daze.

"Is from the Green Dragon!"

They finish, and everybody erupts in cheers and claps. I grin and continue my search for Aragorn, and I finally find him next to Gandalf.

"No news of Frodo?" Aragorn asks quietly from beside me. I glance at the wizard, hopeful, but he shakes his head.

"No word. Nothing."

"We have time. Every day Frodo moves closer to Mordor." Aragorn says.

"Do we know that?" Gandalf questions. I tilt my head slightly.

"What does your heart tell you?" Aragorn murmurs.

"That Frodo is alive." Gandalf says after a moment's hesitation. "Yes... Yes, he's alive."

* * *

The celebration is over. I retreat to the room we are to stay the night in and unpack my things. Legolas and Aragorn have gone outside to speak or something, but I wanted to rest. I tuck my weapons under my bedroll and settle in, not quite ready to sleep yet. One by one, the Fellowship arrives and sets up for the night. Gandalf lays a few meters away from me. Pippin hops into bed cheerfully and almost immediately falls asleep. Merry sets up his things near me and I smile at him as he tucks himself in. I flip over onto my other side and try to sleep. I lie there for minutes, my breathing slowing down and my thoughts calming. I fall asleep.

I dream, not a good dream nor a bad dream. It is what would happen if I were raised in Rohan, not Mirkwood, and if I lived with my mother. I shuffle in my bedroll, lightly asleep.

"Pippin!" Merry's unmistakable voice rings out in the night, waking me from my restless sleep. I blink my eyes open, adjusting to the dim moonlight. "Pippin!" Merry's voice is full of panic and fear, and I sit up immediately. Pippin thrashes around, the Palantír in his hands. I scramble to my feet.

"Help! Gandalf, help!" Merry shouts. I run to Pippin and try to take the sphere from him, but a flash of red appears behind my vision and stings my palms, pain shooting through my body. I feel like I'm burning, and a tear escapes the corner of my eye. My body shrudders painully, and I wrench my hands back weakly and fall to the floor just as Legolas and Aragorn burst into the room.

I lie there, panting heavily, and Legolas runs towards me and lifts me off the floor. He helps me sit up shakily as Aragorn makes the same mistake I did, except he doesn't let go of it quickly enough. He takes the Palantír from Pippin and immediately his eyes close and he collapses near me. The Palantír rolls across the floor and fabric is thrown on it, and I look up to see an angry Gandalf.

"Pippin!" Merry cries, worried.

"Fool of a Took!" Gandalf snaps, pushing the hobbit out of the way to reach Pippin. "Look at me." Gandalf murmurs to a shaking Pippin. His eyes suddenly snap open and tears stream down his face, and he shivers. Legolas remains crouched beside me, his hand resting on my back.

"Gandalf.." Pippin whispers. "Forgive me..." He turns away in shame.

"Look at me." Pippin obeys. "What did you see?" Aragorn makes his way over to the hobbit and watches.

"A tree... There was a white tree in a courtyard of stone... It was dead. The city was burning."

Everybody remains silent for a moment, nervousness etched on our faces.

"Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw?" Gandalf asks.

"I saw... I saw him! I could hear his voice in my head!" Pippin says weakly.

"And what did you tell him?" Pippin doesn't answer. "Speak!" Gandalf urges.

"He asked me my name. I didn't answer." Pippin whispers. "He hurt me!"

My eyes widen in shock and pity for the poor, young hobbit.

"What did you tell him about Frodo and the Ring?"

Pippin stares at the wizard before shaking his head. Gandalf walks swiftly out of the room, and Merry immediately goes over to his friend.

"What happened?" Legolas murmurs, rubbing my back soothingly.

"I was asleep, and I heard Merry shouting Pippin's name. I woke up and saw Pippin..." I struggle for the right words, and Legolas gestures for me to continue. I shrug. "So I tried to take it from him, but there was only pain and fire. I let go after only about a second and fell to the ground, and you know the rest."

Legolas nods and I stand up, making my way over to my bed roll. I wipe the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand and sigh.

"It's been a long day, I'm going to rest now. Goodnight." I murmur, smiling weakly at the elf. He looks at me with concern before smiling back.

"Ollo vae. (sweet dreams.)" He says softly before turning away, and I flip onto my side and close my eyes, letting darkness take over me.