Chapter 15: Rohan

"A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the Elder days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong." Gandalf says quite happily, and I glance nervously at Legolas. Ents?

"Strong? Oh, that's good." Gimli mutters sarcastically, earning a grumble from Gandalf.

"So stop your fretting, Master Dwarf- Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be."

"This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one." Gimli says under his breath, and I snort. True.

* * *

The light is bright, air clear and grass light and minty. Arod and Hasufel stand behind us at the other side of the Fangorn Forest. Gandalf whistles in a high pitch, then whistles again, but lower. A moment passes, and I see a flash of white on the left.

"That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Legolas says, in awe. The white horse is beautiful, pure white mane and tail flowing out behind him. The horse slow down, and approaches Gandalf.

"Shadowfax." Gandalf murmurs, smiling. "He's the lord of all horses, and has been my friend through many dangers." Gandalf strokes the horses face gently. Shadowfax looks up sharpy and whinnies loudly, and a few more echo after his call. Three horses- one white, one brown, and one red- gallop into view, and I gasp in delight when the red horse comes closer, stopping in front of me.

"Numen!" I cry, flinging my arms around the stallion's thick neck. My horse nuzzles into my shoulder, and I rub his forehead affectionately. Aragorn mounts Hasufel, Gimli and Legolas on Arod, and Gandalf on Shadowfax. I grasp onto Numen's mane, swinging myself up and sitting on his bare back. We set off at a fast gallop, Numen's mane whipping behind him. I wonder how he got here- perhaps Shadowfax called him from Rivendell, but that would be a long way...

"Oh Numen, I missed you so much..." I murmur to the flame-coloured horse, leaning forwards towards his ear. Numen tosses his head, startling me, and I laugh. I ride beside Aragorn, behind Gandalf, and we ride with matching strides.

* * *

The sky has darkened considerably, and there are no stars, but the moon is bright. My stomach growls loudly, and Gimli looks at me, amused. I blush and dismount beside Aragorn, pulling off my pack and taking out a small leaf-wrap. I unwrap it and nibble a bit of lembas bread, trying to save it as much as I can. I eat half of the cake, and tuck the rest into my pack. Numen grazes on the grass, and I unroll my bedroll, lying on the warm sheets. Aragorn and Gandalf stand at the edge of a cliff, looking east towards Mordor. I lie on my side, facing away, and listen to their quiet conversation.

"The veiling shadow that glowers in the east takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival." Gandalf mutters. "From the summit of Barad-dûr, his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumour has reached him: the heir of Numenor still lives. Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so, he'll strike hard and fast at the world of men. He will use his puppet, Saruman, to destroy Rohan."

Rohan? My eyes widen slightly. I've been to Rohan for a short amount of time when I travelled Middle Earth, and I felt a slight connection to the place, I don't know why. It seemed very comforting, like Mirkwood and Rivendell. The people were really kind to me, treating me with such respect you would think I was a princess or something. The King, Théoden, was very kind and welcoming, but there was a man, Grîma, who constantly tried to make him do evil things. I despise that man. I hope he's not there, still...

"War is coming. Rohan must defend itself, and therein lies our first challenge. For Rohan is weak, and ready to fall. The king's mind is enslaved. It's and old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose. But for all of their cunning, we have one advantage- the Ring remains hidden. And that we should seek to destroy it has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the enemy is moving towards Mordor in the hands of hobbit."