Chapter 4: Memories and Heartbreak

EDITED 02/06/16

I immediately head to my room, anxious to start packing. I take a pack and start to throw in some clothes and basic first aid supplies. I don't bother with dresses, but instead I stuff some tunics, pants, and cloaks inside. A few hair ties lie hidden in a compartment just in case, and I lay out a simple, sturdy outfit for tomorrow. I stuff an extra pair of worn, leather boots in as well, and sit the pack on my desk, sitting back down on my bed.

I let out a deep sigh and try to wrap my mind around what is happening.

The pack seems small, sitting lonely on the bare, wooden desk. I feel the need to pack more in the bag, but there's nothing more to do. I don't even know how long I will be gone- unlike the first time I left Rivendell, I knew I was going to come back. Now, I'm not too sure. This isn't a little travelling holiday, it's a quest to rid evil off Middle Earth. That part honestly scares me quite a bit.

I start getting anxious. What if one of us gets hurt, or worse? What if we get split up and the mission fails, Sauron gets the Ring and we all die?

Death. Death confuses me. What happens when you die? Elves don't die of old age, only in battle or of a broken heart. My father, a common elf of Mirkwood, died in an orc raid. The horrid filth came to attack and both my parents fought, but my father was slain. My mother didn't come back either, but her body wasn't found. Only now do I get her letter to prove that she is still alive, but I do not know her whereabouts. But I, I have a human's fate. I can die of old age, but I am surrounded by those who cannot. My father was immortal, but he was killed by an orc. I wish he wasn't, as I was always closer to my father. Even though my mother told me tales and tucked me in, my father and I loved nature and shared in our elvish ways. My mother, full human, shared different traits than the two of us and often had opposite opinions, and so my father and I spent more time together, even when they both were leaving for battle.

*Flashback*

(Vivienne was 9 years old)

"Daddy, where are you going? What's happening?" My brown eyes were round with fear, snarls and screeches echoing around us, the sound of arrows hitting their mark. I could hear the echoes of bodies dropping every few seconds, and the occasional terrified yell telling the elves to fall back. The sounds terrified me, as I was barely nine.

"We need more elves to defend! Anyone old and strong enough to wield a bow must fight!"

My parents exchanged worried looks and turned to look at me, tears already starting to well in my eyes. My father clasped my trembling face in between his hands and pulled me close, looking me in the eye. My mother stood behind, watching on with a sorrowful expression.

"Daddy and mommy are going to go help Uncle Thranduil, okay? You have to go with Legolas, honey, and stay where you are told." My father whispered me, hugging me. "I will see you again," He promised, letting go of me and starting to stand. I started to cry, my wails getting drowned out by the chorus of other elven children's sobs. All of their parents being ripped away from them.

"Daddy... Don't go!" I hiccuped, and he wiped my tears with his sleeve. My mother handed him some arrows, which he stuck in his quiver.

"No! Mommy, daddy.."

"You're safe here, Vivienne." My mother smiled, gently smoothing my hair with her hand.

"We love you." They said in unison, then walked outside.

I went inside to find Legolas, who was hiding deep in the palace. We crouched, hidden in fear, with the other children. Only a few women stayed to look after us- most of the mothers fought.